Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
gina

Default Refrigerator/Freezer not cooling consistently

I have a 1995 Frigidaire Gallery sideXside fridge.

Came home last week Monday to find my freezer thawed... stuff on the
bottom frozen, stuff on the top 1/2 dripping all over. Didn't notice
the temp of the fridge. Unloaded everything. Frozen stuff that was
salvageable went in the chest freezer, the fridge stuff went outside.
Left the doors open and the unit off for 8 hours. Cleaned it well,
nothing exciting happened.

Mom thought maybe I had accidently left the freezer door open a crack.

The unit is level left to right, but high in the front compared to the
back. I cleaned all the grates, and behind the unit. I used to have
both dials pointed straight up. Now I have the freezer turned a couple
notches colder than center, and the fridge all the way to the coldest
setting.

Sometimes it appears ok - freezer @ 0-10, fridge at 35-40. Tonight I
got home at freezer was @ 30 and fridge @50. After opening it to
check, it kicked on and now the temps look fine again. Darn thing just
isn't consistent.

I lost my dishwasher that was on an ungrounded outlet (this one is
grounded) due to a bad power surge about a month ago. I'd assuming
that the unit would not wait this long after the surge to act up.

Also - I never did re-load the freezer - this couldn't be part of it,
could it?

What a pain... if anyone has anything I can try, please help. I can't
afford a new fridge.