Default Fixing A Leaking Cellar

I have an old stone house with large badly leaking cellar walls. The
water comes from underground streams prevalent in my area ( Maryland)
rain and melting snow.

The cellar walls are mainly rock with crumbling sand between. . I
currently use a sump pump to divert the water.

How can I fix this problem? At least to slow down the flow?

Your help would be appreciated.

Allan

Rob-J

I think would need to install drain tile aound the house and have it run off
into a dry well. Does your sump run constantly? If so, (or at lease very
often) then maybe you could install a second pump and make sure it is
diverted far from the house.

wrote in message
I have an old stone house with large badly leaking cellar walls. The
water comes from underground streams prevalent in my area ( Maryland)
rain and melting snow.

The cellar walls are mainly rock with crumbling sand between. . I
currently use a sump pump to divert the water.

How can I fix this problem? At least to slow down the flow?

Your help would be appreciated.

Allan

R.C. Crawford

The water leaking into your basement relieves the hydrostatic pressure
behind the wall. This helps to keep the deteriorating wall from collasping.
Therefore you need to be careful to "not" stop the leaking into the building
until you stop the hydrostatic pressure on the outside of the wall. The
above suggestion to install drain tiles is excellent.

wrote in message
I have an old stone house with large badly leaking cellar walls. The
water comes from underground streams prevalent in my area ( Maryland)
rain and melting snow.

The cellar walls are mainly rock with crumbling sand between. . I
currently use a sump pump to divert the water.

How can I fix this problem? At least to slow down the flow?

Your help would be appreciated.

Allan

Hot water heater AND shutoff valve both leaking Steven Litvintchouk Home Repair 8 December 27th 03 03:53 AM
Cellar flood Harry Ziman UK diy 8 December 17th 03 08:01 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 09:05 PM