DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fixing A Leaking Cellar (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/54663-fixing-leaking-cellar.html)

[email protected] February 13th 04 03:21 PM

Fixing A Leaking Cellar

I have an old stone house with large badly leaking cellar walls. The
water comes from underground streams prevalent in my area ( Maryland)
rain and melting snow.

The cellar walls are mainly rock with crumbling sand between. . I
currently use a sump pump to divert the water.

How can I fix this problem? At least to slow down the flow?

Your help would be appreciated.

Allan

Rob-J February 13th 04 04:42 PM

Fixing A Leaking Cellar

I think would need to install drain tile aound the house and have it run off
into a dry well. Does your sump run constantly? If so, (or at lease very
often) then maybe you could install a second pump and make sure it is
diverted far from the house.

R.C. Crawford February 14th 04 02:55 AM

Fixing A Leaking Cellar

The water leaking into your basement relieves the hydrostatic pressure
behind the wall. This helps to keep the deteriorating wall from collasping.
Therefore you need to be careful to "not" stop the leaking into the building
until you stop the hydrostatic pressure on the outside of the wall. The
above suggestion to install drain tiles is excellent.