Steven Litvintchouk

Default Hot water heater AND shutoff valve both leaking

I own a condominium that has an electric hot water heater.

The heater started leaking out the bottom, so I turned off the
electrical power and shut off the water to the heater. Unfortunately,
that caused the shutoff valve to start leaking too. The shutoff valve
is located on the pipe just above the heater, so the shutoff valve is
now dripping water onto the top of the heater.

Until I can get a plumber to sort all this out, are there any other
steps I should take?

-- Steven L.

Steven Litvintchouk

David Babcock wrote:

If you can find the main shutoff, if not put something under the valve and
empty as necessary........oh and have a Merry Christmas

I was more concerned about a safety problem due to the electrical power
cable that runs from the wall into the heater. I shut off the wall
switch and I also shut off the line from the circuit breaker, but I
don't know anything about electrician stuff and I was still worried.

These condos were NOT built with a main shutoff water valve inside the
units. When a valve (like the shutoff valve to the toilet) has leaked,
it has been necessary to shut off the water to all the condo units on
that side of the building in order to repair it.

-- Steven L.

Speedy Jim

Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

I own a condominium that has an electric hot water heater.

The heater started leaking out the bottom, so I turned off the
electrical power and shut off the water to the heater. Unfortunately,
that caused the shutoff valve to start leaking too. The shutoff valve
is located on the pipe just above the heater, so the shutoff valve is
now dripping water onto the top of the heater.

Until I can get a plumber to sort all this out, are there any other
steps I should take?

-- Steven L.

Not exactly what you have, but this pic should help:
http://www.prier.com/Partsfinder/C-1...8STpacking.htm

Tighten the smaller nut under the handle.
That should stop the leak.

Jim
POPPYPLANK

Tighten the smaller nut under the handle.
That should stop the leak.

close the valve about 1/2 way and than heed the advice given above...dont get
wild ass macho man tightening the packing nut just a limp wrist 1/4 turn will
normally do the job

but what do I know
only 30 yrs playing plumber

Merry Christmas to all

Vic Plank
Lancaster PA

Steven Litvintchouk

POPPYPLANK wrote:

Tighten the smaller nut under the handle.
That should stop the leak.

close the valve about 1/2 way and than heed the advice given above...dont get
wild ass macho man tightening the packing nut just a limp wrist 1/4 turn will
normally do the job

Thanks, guys, that's what I was looking for.

-- Steven L.

George E. Cawthon

First, their isn't anything to sort out. You need to
replace the shutoff valve (heater inlet valve) and the water
heater. You might contain the leak from the valve for
awhile, but if you do nothing else, you should have a
plumber turn off the main and replace the valve.

Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

I own a condominium that has an electric hot water heater.

The heater started leaking out the bottom, so I turned off the
electrical power and shut off the water to the heater. Unfortunately,
that caused the shutoff valve to start leaking too. The shutoff valve
is located on the pipe just above the heater, so the shutoff valve is
now dripping water onto the top of the heater.

Until I can get a plumber to sort all this out, are there any other
steps I should take?

-- Steven L.

Robert A. Barr

Thanks, guys, that's what I was looking for.

-- Steven L.

And then do yourself a favor and have a new, good quality full-flow ball valve
installed in its place.