afman72

Default Humidifier Recommendation

I live in Colorado and I'm looking to connect/install a humidifier to my
forced air heating system. My hard wood floors are handling the dry air
very well. Anyone in the group have a recommendation on the best type and
brands? thanks Phil

Gryhound

"afman72" wrote in message
I live in Colorado and I'm looking to connect/install a humidifier to my
forced air heating system. My hard wood floors are handling the dry air
very well. Anyone in the group have a recommendation on the best type

and
brands? thanks Phil

I just installed a Honeywell flow-thru humidifier. Installation was
not too bad (had to make some adjustments outside the
instructions) So far, it has made a big difference for my comfort
level. I live in Wisconsin and our air is probably not as dry as
yours in CO, but my nose feels the difference and I feel warmer.
My hardwood doesn't seem to be noticeably changed since I installed
the unit.

They come in several sizes depending on your square footage.
My only complaint is the amount of wasted water. I was
kind of surprised when I watched how much water flows thru
the filter and down the drain. (On that note, be sure you
don't get a unit that requires a floor drain if you don't have
one in your basement) I thought that there was way too much
water flowing thru the filter than was necessary to keep it wet.

Has anyone played with the self-tapping valve? The instructions
say not to use it as a flow control valve - it's either open or
closed.

Outside of that, no complaints with the system. My cost was
$99.00 plus the install kit.

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,

Bob

I've had an AprilAire bypass humidifier for a couple of years, and I'm
really happy with it. Does need a new pad every year, but it doesn't have
the problem of standing water sitting in it. It also came with an automatic
humidistat that regulates the humidity based on outside temps. With the
swings in outdoor temps here in St. Paul, MN, I like not having to fiddle
with a manual humidistat trying to maintain the correct humidity.

Bob

Joseph Meehan

afman72 wrote:
I live in Colorado and I'm looking to connect/install a humidifier to
my forced air heating system. My hard wood floors are handling the
dry air very well. Anyone in the group have a recommendation on the
best type and brands? thanks Phil

I put in an Aprilair and I have been very happy with it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Gryhound wrote:
"afman72" wrote in message

...I was
kind of surprised when I watched how much water flows thru
the filter and down the drain. .. I thought that there was way too much
water flowing thru the filter than was necessary to keep it wet.

The extra flow is there to help rise out the mineral build up and keep
the unit working well with less maintenance. It is designed to use more
water than just enough to keep the pad wet.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

What he said. Plus, be sure it's got a drain under it. My boss and I used to
install Aprilaire 600, which have a vertical, square wick. The water flows
enough of it through that some of the water goes into a drain. Helps keep it
from accumulating limescale, minerals, and bacteria, fungus, and other
microfleems. You don't want to have warm, wet water accumulated in your
furnace. That's the same environment as the inside of your lungs (wet,
humid, and lots of oxygen). And so that's how you get microfleems that
infect people.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

newsp6Wb.463683$ts4.383362@pd7tw3no...

"afman72" wrote in message
I live in Colorado and I'm looking to connect/install a humidifier to my
forced air heating system. My hard wood floors are handling the dry air
very well. Anyone in the group have a recommendation on the best type

and
brands? thanks Phil

Stormin Mormon

Self tapping valves are famous for clogging. Only takes a little sediment.
How about an inline valve in the small line? Wonder if they make them that
small? Yeah, they drain some water -- but that's the point. Helps keep
minerals from growing, and microfleems from growing.

--

"Gryhound" wrote in message

Has anyone played with the self-tapping valve? The instructions
say not to use it as a flow control valve - it's either open or
closed.

Outside of that, no complaints with the system. My cost was
$99.00 plus the install kit.

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,
you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go.

CBhvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Six usenet posters can't be wrong! Aprilaire!

You forgot your boss...

BTW, to the OT, Aprilaire 700....