stonecreek

Default fuel oil usage in boiler

I seem to be using more fuel oil this year in my boiler than in years past.
I change the nozzle each year, clean out the innards of the boiler, change
the filters. Is there something else that can control the amount of oil
that these things use. I haven't raised the temperature or anything as
obvious as that.

thanks

CBhvac

"stonecreek" wrote in message
I seem to be using more fuel oil this year in my boiler than in years

past.
I change the nozzle each year, clean out the innards of the boiler, change
the filters. Is there something else that can control the amount of oil
that these things use. I haven't raised the temperature or anything as
obvious as that.

thanks

Change the nozzle...umm...do you have it calibrated to make sure that you
are getting the best flame for the condition the unit is in? If not...there
is one idea...
Do you have underground tanks?
Do you use water treatment? If not...there is another...
Did you change fuel oil weight? IE, go with #2 instead of #1 or vice versa?

HeatMan

CB's right, as usual, but he omits one point.

Has it been colder this year than the previous ones?

"CBhvac" stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote in
message ...

"stonecreek" wrote in message
I seem to be using more fuel oil this year in my boiler than in years

past.
I change the nozzle each year, clean out the innards of the boiler,

change
the filters. Is there something else that can control the amount of oil
that these things use. I haven't raised the temperature or anything as
obvious as that.

thanks

Change the nozzle...umm...do you have it calibrated to make sure that you
are getting the best flame for the condition the unit is in? If

not...there
is one idea...
Do you have underground tanks?
Do you use water treatment? If not...there is another...
Did you change fuel oil weight? IE, go with #2 instead of #1 or vice

versa?

CBhvac

"HeatMan" wrote in message
link.net...
CB's right, as usual, but he omits one point.

Has it been colder this year than the previous ones?

Omit the possible obvious? ME?

[...]

stonecreek

[...]

Tanks are in basement and winter is perhaps warmer than in previous years.
Fuel is the same as in previous years. Please explain the calibration
comment. I didn't know there was any sort of adjustment to calibrate these
things.

thanks

alt-hvac Moderated

You mean you don't adjust the oil pressure, and air flow?

You don't use a combustion flue analyzer?

I'm not an oil tech, but I did work for one. In order to get your burner
running at peak efficiency, you have to adjust the pressure of the oil pump,
and also the airflow into the burner. Sounds like time to call an oil tech.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

"stonecreek" wrote in message

Tanks are in basement and winter is perhaps warmer than in previous years.
Fuel is the same as in previous years. Please explain the calibration
comment. I didn't know there was any sort of adjustment to calibrate these
things.

thanks

Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM
Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM