H Davis

Default Switched Wall Receptacle Problem

In one of my bedrooms, the wall switch operates both receptacles in the box
on one wall. Anything plugged into either receptacle is then operable by the
wall switch. However, I would like only one side of the receptacle to be
operable by the switch. How do I take one of the receptacles off the wall
switch?

H Davis

Speedy Jim

H Davis wrote:

In one of my bedrooms, the wall switch operates both receptacles in the box
on one wall. Anything plugged into either receptacle is then operable by the
wall switch. However, I would like only one side of the receptacle to be
operable by the switch. How do I take one of the receptacles off the wall
switch?

H Davis

You don't, unless there is an extra "Hot-all-the-time" wire
already in the box.

Alternate: leave the switch on permanently and use a plug-in
remote control device to do whatever switching is needed.

Jim
Bill Stehlin

Depends. If power runs first to switch, then on to outlet, remote
control (or "clapper") is only easy solution. If power runs first to
outlet, then "hot" runs to switch, you can empower one side of outlet
directly, and other side through switch.

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
H Davis wrote:

In one of my bedrooms, the wall switch operates both receptacles in the box
on one wall. Anything plugged into either receptacle is then operable by the
wall switch. However, I would like only one side of the receptacle to be
operable by the switch. How do I take one of the receptacles off the wall
switch?

H Davis

You don't, unless there is an extra "Hot-all-the-time" wire
already in the box.

Alternate: leave the switch on permanently and use a plug-in
remote control device to do whatever switching is needed.

Jim

anthony diodati

If power runs first to
outlet, then "hot" runs to switch, you can empower one side of outlet
directly, and other side through switch.

Thats Very Ture.
How many wires are in the switch box and how is the switch wired?
Thanks, Tony D.

om...

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM
Electrical problem in basement L. Green Home Repair 8 August 10th 03 01:53 PM