L. Green

Default Electrical problem in basement

I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having in my basement. Here are the
details

Recently I was repositioning my desk lamp when the bulb blew. As a result
all of the ceiling lights and most of the wall outlets in the other room no
longer work. I have tried resetting all of the breakers although none of
them were tripped and I still cannot get those lights and outlets to work.
So my current situation is in the computer room where the bulb blew, only
one outlet works. The other does not. In the den area outside the computer
room all ceiling lights do not work but one wall outlet does. I am trying
to figure if it is possible another electrical box is covered somewhere or
the electrical wiring really screwed up. This house about 50+ years old.
Any suggestions on where I should start my search?

L. Green

Have you established that the breaker which governs this circuit is
working?
I think this is the problem. As a test, I switched off all the breakers one
at a time to ensure that it affected some part of the house and none of them
switched on those lights and outlets. Do you have any suggestions because I
am stumped.

"donald girod" wrote in message
Have you established that the breaker which governs this circuit is

working?
Are the wires for that circuit connected tightly in the circuit panel.
Start by figuring out which circuit breaker covers these devices and then
try to trace the circuit from the panel to the first device, and see where
the trouble begins.

A light which "blows" can't really do all this damage, but circuit

breakers
do fail. I think this is the most likely explanation.

"L. Green" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

Stephen Kurzban

My breakers have to be forcibly held to the off position
before they will reset if they were tripped. Sorry so
brief, but it can be very dangerous (to you) for me to offer
more.

"L. Green" wrote:

I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having in my basement. Here are the
details

Recently I was repositioning my desk lamp when the bulb blew. As a result
all of the ceiling lights and most of the wall outlets in the other room no
longer work. I have tried resetting all of the breakers although none of
them were tripped and I still cannot get those lights and outlets to work.
So my current situation is in the computer room where the bulb blew, only
one outlet works. The other does not. In the den area outside the computer
room all ceiling lights do not work but one wall outlet does. I am trying
to figure if it is possible another electrical box is covered somewhere or
the electrical wiring really screwed up. This house about 50+ years old.
Any suggestions on where I should start my search?

L. Green

Spud, You mentioned GFI upstream, what do you mean by that?

Stephen, I held the breaker in the off position for about 5-7 seconds
without any luck.

I just can't understand why after cycling every breaker that those lights
and outlets would not come on. Then again I am not an expert :-)

"Spud" wrote in message
GFI upstream

"L. Green" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

Dave

"L. Green" wrote in message gy.com...
I am trying to diagnose a problem I am having in my basement. Here are the
details

Recently I was repositioning my desk lamp when the bulb blew. As a result
all of the ceiling lights and most of the wall outlets in the other room no
longer work. I have tried resetting all of the breakers although none of
them were tripped and I still cannot get those lights and outlets to work.
So my current situation is in the computer room where the bulb blew, only
one outlet works. The other does not. In the den area outside the computer
room all ceiling lights do not work but one wall outlet does. I am trying
to figure if it is possible another electrical box is covered somewhere or
the electrical wiring really screwed up. This house about 50+ years old.
Any suggestions on where I should start my search?

You say you were playing with a desk lamp and then suddenly you lost
power in one basement circuit but you can't find a tripped breaker?
First why don't you label all of your breakers so that from now on you
will know what they are? After doing that perhaps you will find one
breaker which does nothing. Perhaps it is bad.
L. Green

Dave, This is my first home, we moved in about 10 months ago and when this
occurred I found out the hard way that a couple of the labels inside do not
match what is controlled. The previous owner just installed a new breaker
box before my wife and I had the house inspected.

Spud, the one outlet that does work is a GFCI unit. I did press the reset
button when all this occurred.

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
"L. Green" wrote in message

gy.com...
[...]

Dave

"L. Green" wrote in message gy.com...

Dave, This is my first home, we moved in about 10 months ago and when this
occurred I found out the hard way that a couple of the labels inside do not
match what is controlled. The previous owner just installed a new breaker
box before my wife and I had the house inspected.

Spud, the one outlet that does work is a GFCI unit. I did press the reset
button when all this occurred.

Ok, did you find a circuit breaker that does nothing? Have you ever
done electrical work before? Do you understand basic house wiring? Do
you want to fix this yourself? Are you cautious enough to do
electrical work safely? Even if you know nothing there are books on
the subject at any library or hardware store. You should not need any
equipment beyond a 110/220V indicator (a neon bulb with two insulated
probes) and standard tools.

You either have-

-a loose connection.
-damaged wire
-a bad GFI
-a bad circuit breaker

John this is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. I will post
the results when I get it resolved. It may take a week or two but I
will follow up.

Thanks

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:51:03 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

If I was to come to your house to fix this problem I would do the following:

1) Look for a GFI receptacle that may have tripped. I would look in all of
the bathrooms, outside, the garage, and the basement. This usually applies
to homes built within the past 20 years or so. On a home as old as yours it
is not likely that this is the case, but I wouldn't rule it out. Any GFI
that I found I would press the reset button and check the GFI to see if it
had power by plugging something into it.

2) Open up the circuit breaker panel and check to make sure each breaker was
working. By working I mean that you are getting power from each circuit
breaker terminal including the main breaker. Then I would tighten down all
terminals on the circuit breakers, neutral bar, ground bar (If available)
and the mains. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

3) Open up the receptacle that the lamp was plugged into. Check for loose
or broken wires on receptacle. If it is an old receptacle I would replace
it and use pigtails on it instead of feeding through the receptacle to the
other receptacles. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

4) Open up each receptacle, switch, and light fixture that is out and check
for loose or broken wires. I would start at the receptacle, switch, or
light fixture nearest the circuit breaker panel. If that didn't correct the
problem I would:

5) Open up each receptacle, switch, and light fixture THAT IS WORKING in
close proximity to the problem outlets and check for a loose or broken wire.
If that didn't correct the problem I would:

6) (Note: This one is a longshot and highly unlikely, but I have seen it
happen) Replace the bulb in the lamp that blew and plug it back into the
same receptacle that it was originally plugged into. If that corrects the
problem, then you have some serious wiring problems and need a pro to come
in and check things out. If that didn't correct the problem I would:

7) Look around for evidence of damaged wiring. I have seen damage cause by
rodents, someone nailing something to a wall, someone cutting a hole in a
wall, someone drilling into a wall etc. If that didn't correct the problem
I would:

8) Consider refeeding the circuit by running a new line from the circuit
breaker panel.

Based on my experience 2, 3, 4, and 5 are your most likely suspects.

I would be interested in knowing the outcome of your investigation.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"L. Green" wrote in message
gy.com...
[...]

Problem with Fender LTB power amplifier Jerry G. Electronics Repair 0 July 2nd 04 03:32 AM
advice sought - builder's idea for damp proofing a basement Antony UK diy 8 June 30th 04 06:46 PM
Goldstar CNR-2994P Tuner problem Jerry G. Electronics Repair 4 June 21st 04 08:39 PM
problem seamus Electronics Repair 1 July 25th 03 03:50 AM
Toshiba vertical problem David Wolff Electronics Repair 1 July 18th 03 10:41 PM