Paul

Default Magnetics for Hard Water problems

Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

-Paul

Joseph Meehan

It sure help pay the boat payments for those selling them. Sorry but
that is all they do. Hard water is not changed by magnets.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Paul" wrote in message
Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

-Paul

EL

Don't be quite as fat to discredit them. In my opinion the jury is
still out.

Boden

Joseph Meehan wrote:
It sure help pay the boat payments for those selling them. Sorry but
that is all they do. Hard water is not changed by magnets.

John_B

Magnets act on iron and other ferrous metals. Calcium carbonate
[limestone] is a principal cause of "hard" water. It is not a
ferrous metal.

I think the idea of using a magnet to try to change the
properties of calcium carbonate dissolved in water smells like
male bovine excrement.

Paul wrote:
Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

-Paul

twiedeman

its a scam

twiedeman

its a scam

Murray Peterson

"Paul" wrote in news:Y1tyb.44402$gr.39003@okepread04:

Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

The previous owners of our house left behind both magnetic and catalyst
"softeners" -- neither kind do anything useful. We had to replace all of
the toilets due to the huge amount of scale build up, and we bought a
proper water softener as soon as possible.

Michael Baugh

Paul wrote in message
Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

-Paul

Stop giving bovine excrement a bad name. It's an excellent
nitrogen source, it can be shaped to have aerodynamic properties,
all kinds of things can be done with it, regardless of the gender of
the animal producing it.
On the other hand (sniff, sniff) is a product that has no such value.
http://www.age.psu.edu/extension/fac.../f/F%20143.pdf

DaveG

"Paul" wrote in message
Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

-Paul

BULL**** with a capital B.

klm

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:11:25 -0600, "Paul" wrote:

Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

The industrial grade magnet water treatment device is the size of a
oil drum.

http://www.enecon.com/products/eneflow_01.asp

It uses very high strength rare earth magnets. I remember a New
Scientist article (10 years ago) explaining the magnetic field's
action as preventing the dissolved ions from clumping to form scale.

There are no such devices for domestic installation as the large size
is necessary for it to work, plus the cost of the magnets make it
beyond the reach of a home installation.

Joseph Meehan

"klm" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:11:25 -0600, "Paul" wrote:

Anyone with an opinion or experience on magnetics to solve hard water
problems? Is this a bunch of bull**** or what?

The industrial grade magnet water treatment device is the size of a
oil drum.

http://www.enecon.com/products/eneflow_01.asp

It uses very high strength rare earth magnets. I remember a New
Scientist article (10 years ago) explaining the magnetic field's
action as preventing the dissolved ions from clumping to form scale.

Yea, it can because the stuff that makes the water hard is ionic, but as
you noted it takes a vyer strong magnetic field and it only works in the
imediate area of the magnetic field. Unless you did the whole house it
would not help. It might also be possible to make a system that would work
removing the offending ions, but I have never seen a commerical unit and it
would talk a lot more than a couple of magnets.