Richard W. Foster

Default Wood laminate flooring over ceramic tile?

Hi Home Repair Gurus,

I have never been steered wrong by you guys before so I am counting on your
help again, so here goes:

Seven years ago I installed (glued and screwed) cement board to a vinyl over
plywood floor. I installed glossy (ewww) ceramic tiles to the cement board.
Now I have come to my decorative senses and I want Hardwood flooring instead
of the tile. The tiles are not very even (my talents were undeveloped then)
and I am not keen on the idea of taking another 3/4 inch away from the
height of the room and I think it will develop problems with time on the
uneven tiles. My wife who hates the idea of tearing out the tiles and
cement board sez to install a floating floor with a membrane and all will be
well. What do you think? Is she right again?

CLSSM00X7

Hi,
As long as the flooring under the new wood floor is secure it will work
perfectly. if not, tear it out and lay a subfloor.

candice

zinc

"Richard W. Foster" wrote in message
[...]

Read the manufacturers instructions, pay _close_ attention to the allowable
tolerances for dips/variances. Generally 3/16" in a 10 ft radius is the
maximum variation allowed.

This is why people say laminates have a hollow sound, they failed to level
the dips and are bridging them. This is also the reason the tongues break
because of the flex in the laminate where it has bridged a dip or went over
a high spot.

If you do decide to go with laminate over tile, don't make the mistake of
shortcutting the prep work.

montana

In article
,
"zinc" wrote:

Read the manufacturers instructions, pay _close_ attention to the allowable
tolerances for dips/variances. Generally 3/16" in a 10 ft radius is the
maximum variation allowed.

This is why people say laminates have a hollow sound, they failed to level
the dips and are bridging them. This is also the reason the tongues break
because of the flex in the laminate where it has bridged a dip or went over
a high spot.

If you do decide to go with laminate over tile, don't make the mistake of
shortcutting the prep work.

Any area of the floor that isn't flat and smooth will cause the laminate
to dip or dimple over time.