Richard W. Foster

Default Wood laminate flooring over ceramic tile?

Hi Home Repair Gurus,

I have never been steered wrong by you guys before so I am counting on your
help again, so here goes:

Seven years ago I installed (glued and screwed) cement board to a vinyl over
plywood floor. I installed glossy (ewww) ceramic tiles to the cement board.
Now I have come to my decorative senses and I want Hardwood flooring instead
of the tile. The tiles are not very even (my talents were undeveloped then)
and I am not keen on the idea of taking another 3/4 inch away from the
height of the room and I think it will develop problems with time on the
uneven tiles. My wife who hates the idea of tearing out the tiles and
cement board sez to install a floating floor with a membrane and all will be
well. What do you think? Is she right again?