zinc

Default Wood laminate flooring over ceramic tile?

"Richard W. Foster" wrote in message
Hi Home Repair Gurus,

I have never been steered wrong by you guys before so I am counting on

your
help again, so here goes:

Seven years ago I installed (glued and screwed) cement board to a vinyl

over
plywood floor. I installed glossy (ewww) ceramic tiles to the cement

board.
Now I have come to my decorative senses and I want Hardwood flooring

instead
of the tile. The tiles are not very even (my talents were undeveloped

then)
and I am not keen on the idea of taking another 3/4 inch away from the
height of the room and I think it will develop problems with time on the
uneven tiles. My wife who hates the idea of tearing out the tiles and
cement board sez to install a floating floor with a membrane and all will

be
well. What do you think? Is she right again?

Read the manufacturers instructions, pay _close_ attention to the allowable
tolerances for dips/variances. Generally 3/16" in a 10 ft radius is the
maximum variation allowed.

This is why people say laminates have a hollow sound, they failed to level
the dips and are bridging them. This is also the reason the tongues break
because of the flex in the laminate where it has bridged a dip or went over
a high spot.

If you do decide to go with laminate over tile, don't make the mistake of
shortcutting the prep work.