Daniel Prince

Default Water heater problems

We just installed a new water heater and we have two problems.

We have a small gas leak where the flexible connector connects to the
gas valve. We have tried two different flexible connectors and the leak
is there with both of them. Is there anything we can do other than
replacing the gas valve? If we have to replace the gas valve, is there
any way to soften the old pipe dope on the threads?

We bought a Smitty pan to put under the water heater. It came with a
white plastic fitting that has a round part, a small slot, a hexagonal
part, a smaller round part and a threaded part (picture available). How
do we attach the fitting to the pan and what do we attach to the
fitting? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Sometimes when I play with my cat I get him to go around in a circle really
fast until he gets so dizzy that he can't stand up anymore. Then I get him