Derek

Default Noisy Vinyl Siding

We just bought a brand new house, newly constructed. We've noticed that on
windy days the vinyl siding on the house is exceptionally loud and squeaky
inside the house. Under the Siding, there is Tyvex and standard 3/4 wood
for framing.

What would cause this to happen ?
How can it be fixed ?

Reply to newsgroup only.

Thank you.

Joseph Meehan

That's they way it works. You can't secure vinyl siding tightly because
it needs to be able to expand and contract with temperature changes.

There are different grades, some thicker or a different shape (more
complex profile) that tend to be stiffer and quieter.

Vinyl is inexpensive and has a long carefree life, but it is not
perfect.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Derek" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
We just bought a brand new house, newly constructed. We've noticed that

on
windy days the vinyl siding on the house is exceptionally loud and squeaky
inside the house. Under the Siding, there is Tyvex and standard 3/4 wood
for framing.

What would cause this to happen ?
How can it be fixed ?

Reply to newsgroup only.

Thank you.

tflfb

Our house did the same thing until hail destroyed the siding we replaced it
with vinyl, this time we installed 1/2 inch Styrofoam , under the new vinyl,
100% quieter.

Tom

"Derek" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
We just bought a brand new house, newly constructed. We've noticed that

on
windy days the vinyl siding on the house is exceptionally loud and squeaky
inside the house. Under the Siding, there is Tyvex and standard 3/4 wood
for framing.

What would cause this to happen ?
How can it be fixed ?

Reply to newsgroup only.

Thank you.

Phisherman

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:03:46 GMT, "Derek"
wrote:

We just bought a brand new house, newly constructed. We've noticed that on
windy days the vinyl siding on the house is exceptionally loud and squeaky
inside the house. Under the Siding, there is Tyvex and standard 3/4 wood
for framing.

What would cause this to happen ?
How can it be fixed ?

Reply to newsgroup only.

Thank you.

Didn't the real estate person explain that the noise is "character?"
Seriously, vinyl siding should be attached loose to allow for
expansion/contraction. My Al-frame screen windows sometimes rattle in
the middle of a windy night. You could do some landscaping to create
a wind-breaker.

Phisherman

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:49:00 -0600, "tflfb" wrote:

Our house did the same thing until hail destroyed the siding we replaced it
with vinyl, this time we installed 1/2 inch Styrofoam , under the new vinyl,
100% quieter.

Tom

Styrofoam? Never again will I take a styrofoam cooler on a long car
trip. Squeak, squeak, squeak,squeak,squeak,squeak!