Mr. Stein

Default Aluminum vs Vinyl Siding

I am re-siding my house this year & would like some expert opinions on
whether to use aluminum or vinyl siding.

I have heard that steel siding is better but I do not plan on living in the
house for more than 6 or seven more years.

Our house is 22 years old & has the original wood composite siding on it.
All of the contractors who have looked at it say they would need to remove
the old siding and install the new siding over an insulation type of board.

What are the benefits of both & cost differences.

I live in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Kevin O'

Do houses still get sided in aluminum?? I thought it went away years ago due
to cost and safety (i.e. - fire trap) problems... Vinyl is the only
non-wood siding I ever see on residential construction these days.

Which isn't to say I can't be wrong... ;-)

Kevin O'

"Mr. Stein" wrote in message
I am re-siding my house this year & would like some expert opinions on
whether to use aluminum or vinyl siding.

I have heard that steel siding is better but I do not plan on living in

the
house for more than 6 or seven more years.

Our house is 22 years old & has the original wood composite siding on it.
All of the contractors who have looked at it say they would need to remove
the old siding and install the new siding over an insulation type of

board.

What are the benefits of both & cost differences.

I live in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Alan Illeman

Our house is brick plus wooden siding. We had the siding covered
with insulation and aluminium siding. There's no reason to remove
the original siding, just think of it as aditional insulation.

Mr. Stein wrote in message ...
I am re-siding my house this year & would like some expert opinions on
whether to use aluminum or vinyl siding.

I have heard that steel siding is better but I do not plan on living in the
house for more than 6 or seven more years.

Our house is 22 years old & has the original wood composite siding on it.
All of the contractors who have looked at it say they would need to remove
the old siding and install the new siding over an insulation type of board.

What are the benefits of both & cost differences.

I live in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Kevin O'

Hi James,

I'm under the impression that due to it's strength as an insulator, aluminum
has a tendency to create an "oven" effect when a fire brakes out within
walls covered in the material. Vinyl/wood on the other hand have lower
melting/burning points and allowed heat/fumes to escape to the atmosphere...

Did I get that wrong?

Kevin O'

"James Gifford" wrote in message
Kevin O' wrote:
Do houses still get sided in aluminum?? I thought it went away years ago

due
to cost and safety (i.e. - fire trap) problems... Vinyl is the only
non-wood siding I ever see on residential construction these days.

Why would aluminum siding be a fire trap, or any way more unsafe than
other materials?

Joseph Meehan

Try here for some information

www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a173692.html

In short, it says aluminum, vinyl and steel are all currently available,
but most of the market is vinyl.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math