Thomas Halay

Default Garage ceiling ideas? (drywall, plywood, etc?)

I did my garage ceiling using tongue in groove porch flooring. I then
stained it. It looks absolutely fantastic.

Tom
"Mike Hide" wrote in message
et...
why not avoid all the hassles and do it with foam board ...mjh

--
mike hide

"C G" wrote in message
news
Ryan wrote:

If I did go with plywood on the ceiling, how thin could it be without
sagging? How about OSB?

I'm leaning more away from drywall, untaped/mudded it would look very
ugly, I think?... but mudding/taping/sanding then painting that much
area sounds like more work than I want to do. I would like to get
cheap, thin plywood, paint it, then put it up with white screws. I
could live with the seams.

I will also look at other wall materials, I saw some mentioned in this
thread but I have no idea what those things are. The only building
store here is a Menards, and they don't have a lot of selection. The
new Lowes is supposed to open in November.

Someone mentioned that they just but up foam insulation board. Will
consider that too...

Thanks for all the responses.

-Ryan

Something to think about is that sheets of drywall are cheap. Plywood
is not usually so inexensive. Perhaps you should contact a drywall crew
and compare their per foot price to that of installing plywood yourself.

Greg O

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
et...
why not avoid all the hassles and do it with foam board ...mjh

--

Because some people want a more finished look.
Greg

Ryan

How about 1/4 inch hardboard? Cheap stuff, and feels pretty sturdy.

-Ryan
Ryan

How about 1/4 inch hardboard? Cheap stuff, and feels pretty sturdy.

-Ryan

Ryan

I did something a little different in my shop. I got the 1/4" vinyl-
coated hardboard and used it as both wall covering and ceiling covering.
My primary motivation for going this route vs. drywall is the fact that
removal is easy if one ever wishes to access behind any wall, any time.
I went with the white vinyl vs. OSB for several reasons: 1. OSB out-
gasses horribly for a long time after insulation. 2. OSB sucks up primer
and paint by the bucket, 3. The white vinyl is already white, so,
although it does cost more (mine cost $14 per sheet), I did not have to
either prime or paint it, so in addition to saving on paint, I saved
tons of time.

I just finished installing all of the walls and 2/3 of the ceiling, so
I don't have a long history with the stuff to state how it will hold up,
but this is a shop, I see no significant downsides to this choice, and
the white walls made a bazillion percent difference in the looks and
lighting level. Now comes the rest of the reconfiguration project, got
the wood rack re-installed yesterday and the large dimension lumber
replaced in the rack. I am going to build compartmented storage on the
top shelf for scrap wood storage and also for some other storage (such
as extra flourescent lightbulbs).

I did not see any vinyl coated hardboard at Menards. All they had was
regular hardboard. The 1/4 stuff was around $5 per 4x8 sheet.

Does your ceiling show any sagging at all? Does the vinyl give it any
more strength? If not, and your 1/4 stuff works ok, I might just get
the regular 1/4 hardboard, paint it and put it up.

-Ryan

Mark & Juanita

In article , zirconx9
@yahoo.com says...
I did something a little different in my shop. I got the 1/4" vinyl-
coated hardboard and used it as both wall covering and ceiling covering.

.... snip

I just finished installing all of the walls and 2/3 of the ceiling, so
I don't have a long history with the stuff to state how it will hold up,
but this is a shop, I see no significant downsides to this choice, and
the white walls made a bazillion percent difference in the looks and

.... snip

I did not see any vinyl coated hardboard at Menards. All they had was
regular hardboard. The 1/4 stuff was around $5 per 4x8 sheet.

Initially got mine from Home Depot, but got the majority of it from
McEwan Lumber in Tucson. I think Lowes also has this.

Does your ceiling show any sagging at all? Does the vinyl give it any
more strength? If not, and your 1/4 stuff works ok, I might just get
the regular 1/4 hardboard, paint it and put it up.

My ceiling is a trussed ceiling and did not show any signs of sagging
either before or after installation. I'm not sure how old the shop
building is, I'm guessing at better than 10 years old (it was here when
I moved in 4 years ago).

-Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

replying to Mark & Juanita, betterthanbob wrote:
Hi. were your trusses 16" or 24"? Is it sagging at all?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...tc-477829-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

betterthanbob wrote:
replying to Mark & Juanita, betterthanbob wrote:
Hi. were your trusses 16" or 24"? Is it sagging at all?

I helped clean out a garage. Ceiling was thick asbestos sheets. No sag.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/02/2016 04:18 AM, gregz wrote:
betterthanbob wrote:
replying to Mark & Juanita, betterthanbob wrote:
Hi. were your trusses 16" or 24"? Is it sagging at all?

I helped clean out a garage. Ceiling was thick asbestos sheets. No sag.

Greg

The OP was looking for a material they could purchase.

Do they sell thick asbestos sheets anywhere in the US or are you just a stoopid shet?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

replying to Mark & Juanita, Wylie Coyote wrote:
so, 13 yrs later, how has the ceiling held up? Did you nail it or use
adhesive?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tc-477829-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gregz, H. M. Bowker wrote:
Asbestos is deadly. It may take many years to do it, but it kills anything
that breathes. Never handle it. Look up Libby, MT--you'll learn about asbestos.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tc-477829-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

replying to Mark & Juanita, Don Clark wrote:
How has the vinyl bead board ceiling hold up Im about to do the same thing

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tc-477829-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2018 10:44 PM, Don Clark wrote:
replying to Mark & Juanita, Don Clark wrote:
How has the vinyl bead board ceiling hold up Im about to do the same thing

Talk about a time warp! I wonder if they ever made a decision in the
fifteen years since the original question was posted. FWIM, if I went to
the expense of having a large two-car garage build and really gave a damn
about it I'd certainly put up whatever sort of ceiling (probably 5/8"
drywall) local building code called for in habitable space.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

replying to Mark & Juanita, Ward wrote:
Did you also insulate your attic?

--