Mark & Juanita

Default Garage ceiling ideas? (drywall, plywood, etc?)

In article , zirconx9
@yahoo.com says...
I did something a little different in my shop. I got the 1/4" vinyl-
coated hardboard and used it as both wall covering and ceiling covering.

.... snip

I just finished installing all of the walls and 2/3 of the ceiling, so
I don't have a long history with the stuff to state how it will hold up,
but this is a shop, I see no significant downsides to this choice, and
the white walls made a bazillion percent difference in the looks and

.... snip

I did not see any vinyl coated hardboard at Menards. All they had was
regular hardboard. The 1/4 stuff was around $5 per 4x8 sheet.

Initially got mine from Home Depot, but got the majority of it from
McEwan Lumber in Tucson. I think Lowes also has this.

Does your ceiling show any sagging at all? Does the vinyl give it any
more strength? If not, and your 1/4 stuff works ok, I might just get
the regular 1/4 hardboard, paint it and put it up.

My ceiling is a trussed ceiling and did not show any signs of sagging
either before or after installation. I'm not sure how old the shop
building is, I'm guessing at better than 10 years old (it was here when
I moved in 4 years ago).

-Ryan