Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Combs

Default Dehumidifier

In article ,
Ed Kaz wrote:
I have just purshased a kenmore 64 quart dehumidifier for my basement and
have a few questions.

1. Does dehumidifier produce heat?? (it was cool in the basement before
installation).

2. Can I install it in a wall. I have a wall that seperates the work area
from the kids play room. Does the back of this unit have to be in the same
room (filter on back)??

QUESTION: what's the difference between a dehumidifier (electric)
and a (window) air-conditioner?

1: Biggest difference is that the air-conditioner has
it's back end *outside the house*; therefore the
heat generated by the compressor-running (watts
turned into heat) ends up *outside*

, whereas the humidifier sits 100% *inside* the house,
acting not only to dehumidify but also to *heat*
the place.

If dehumidifier (ie the compressor) eats 300 watts,
it's equivalent to having an (almost?) 300-watt
space-heater instead.

2: So the room not only loses water (into the bucket)
but gains heat, the temperature rises.

Thanks to the nice observation by another responder,
we now know that simply the rise in temperature *alone*
(ie even with *no* water going from the air into the bucket)
causes the "*relative* humidity" to decrease -- ie,
you could consider a plain space-heater to be a "dehumidifier",
in that sense. (Obviously better to remove the water
from the air in the room via emptying the bucket down the
drain or out the door.)

QUESTION: is the lack of heating the room (in fact, the opposite,
*cooling* the room) about the only difference between
a window a/c and the in-room humidifier?

In other words, wouldn't a window a/c be about as good
at removing water from the air as the dehumidifier?

What about the cost?

Thanks for whatever enlightenment readers can add to this
thread.

Interesting topic, this dehumidifier stuff.

David

Best location for Dehumidifier? Arthur Home Repair 29 June 6th 18 02:39 PM
Dehumidifier Lorence M Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 12:23 AM
Dehumidifier donald girod Home Repair 0 July 10th 03 01:35 PM