Dan O.

Default Dehumidifier

L. M. Rappaport wrote in message

I must be getting the two parts confused. Is the outside
part of an air conditioner called the condenser or the
evaporator?

Condenser.

The inside part (which I thought was called the condenser)
is where water from the air condenses.

Since these are parts of a *refrigeration system*, their terminology
describes their function in relation *to the refrigerant* inside them. The
"evaporator" is where the refrigerant gas evaporates absorbing heat in the
process. It has nothing to do with the condensate produced as a byproduct of
the refrigeration process.

I know that the outside part is where the gas is compressed
and therefore heated.

The compressor is what compresses the gas. The condenser just removes heat
from the refrigerant so it can condense into a liquid.

The inside part is where the gas expands and therefore
is cooler.

The refrigeant is forced to evaporate in the evaporator which causes it to
absorb heat making if *feel* colder.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com