P.E.

Default Home Wall Construction Question

In my continueing project of removing the fireplace, I have another
construction question. In the middle of the wall, horizontally, about
4ft. high is a large cross beam. Ideally, I would remove this for plan
'A'. I cannot tell if this is a load bearing header, or if it was put
there to be support for the very heavy mantel that was on the wall
above the fireplace. If I remove this beam,or just cut it flush with
the opening, will the second floor come crashing down? The void that
it goes across if 50 inches, is this too long a gap to not have
support for an exterior wall? Its not much wider than for a window.
Are there any alternatives to getting around this obstruction?

Heres some pictures:
http://home.earthlink.net/~peverhear...t/DSC00011.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~peverhear...t/DSC00015.JPG

Thank you for your advice.
Tom J

"P.E." wrote in message
m...
In my continueing project of removing the fireplace, I have another
construction question. In the middle of the wall, horizontally, about
4ft. high is a large cross beam. Ideally, I would remove this

My advice is for you to get someone that knows construction code in your area
to help you with design before you proceed any further. You are going to put
yourself in a position where the building inspectors will either condemn your
house, or make you spend thousands of dollars you didn't intend to, correcting
your mistakes.

Tom J

Goedjn

If I can raise this header higher off the floor, My questions would
be:
1. Do you build the replacement header first, install it, then cut
away the original,in that order?
2. Cut the original out first, install the higher header next, and
move on. How long do you have before the floor above collapses in on
you if you do this ;-)
3. If I raise the header all the way up to the floor plate above, with
no space, then what is the difference in removing it altogether? Since
that plate is supported on both ends. This span is about 50 inches
long.

The biggest question is which way the joists run inthe ceiling
above, and whether they terminate on top of this wall. You
need to support the ceiling above while you take out the
beam the posts supporting it, and the studs above it, then put
in taller posts, and put the beam back, high enough to be clear
of whatever you're planning. That would be far easier to
accomplish if you were openning the ceiling up, too.
Then you could just prop up beams on either side of the wall.
Tom J

"P.E." wrote in message
m...

3. If I raise the header all the way up to the floor plate above, with
no space, then what is the difference in removing it altogether? Since
that plate is supported on both ends. This span is about 50 inches
long.

By chance did you happen to notice that the studs through your house are 16
inches on center? And now you have to ask again if it's OK to have a 50 inch
gap in the studs without a header, and under a second story no less. As I
stated in another post, you need to get someone in that has some idea about
building codes before you either wreck the house or get it condemned by the
building inspectors.

Tom J

P.E.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I did listen and installed a new header
at the top of the ceiling. Not a huge deal, nothing a small sledge
hammer couldnt overcome! ;-)

Check the site for updates, I just finished sealing off the top of the
chimney using some galvanized sheet metal to cap it off. Now I can get
to the fun stuff of actually building something that people can see...

Heres some pictures:
http://home.earthlink.net/~peverheart/fireplace.html