Tom Baker

Default Home Wall Construction Question

(P.E.) wrote in message om...
In my continueing project of removing the fireplace, I have another
construction question. In the middle of the wall, horizontally, about
4ft. high is a large cross beam. Ideally, I would remove this for plan
'A'. I cannot tell if this is a load bearing header, or if it was put
there to be support for the very heavy mantel that was on the wall
above the fireplace. If I remove this beam,or just cut it flush with
the opening, will the second floor come crashing down? The void that
it goes across if 50 inches, is this too long a gap to not have
support for an exterior wall? Its not much wider than for a window.
Are there any alternatives to getting around this obstruction?

Heres some pictures:
http://home.earthlink.net/~peverhear...t/DSC00011.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~peverhear...t/DSC00015.JPG

Thank you for your advice.

Check at the ceiling leve and tell us what you find there. I't
possible that there is a double 2 by in line with the wall on either
side of the shaft you are reworking. It is important to know whether
or not the floor joists run parallel or perpendicular to the wall with
the window shown in your photo.

Tom Baker