Suzanne

Default Roof Repairs

Would appreciate any input on this roofing question. We live in Florida
and have a roof with regular shingles. We've developed a small leak in
the roof that drips through when it really pours. We called a roof
repairman over to look at it--he's not someone who does whole roofs
(though he did once), just repairs. He found the leak quickly (near a
vent pipe) and said he could also do a general repair gluing down the
loose shingles on the roof and making sure it's ok for hurricane season.
He quoted us $375 for the job. Offhand, does this sound like a
reasonable price? He also told us our roof was good for four more
years. This really surprised us, as many of the other houses in our
phase in the subdivision (all built at the same time--about 10 years
ago--have had their roofs replaced or been told they will need to soon).
Are they all getting ripped off, or can similar roofs age that
differently? We are going to get another quote, but I was also thinking
it might be interesting to ask a roofer who only does whole roofs to
check it, to see if he tell us we need a new roof. I realized I'm being
overly suspicious about all this, but it *is* Florida, land of roof
scams, so I'm naturally wary, and I just don't know enought to judge on
my own.

jim

Suzanne wrote:

[...]

if you have a guy that does the whole roof, he will tell you that you
need a new roof.. that is how he makes his money.... just get it fixed
by the $375 guy who probably knows what he is doing.. he does not do
whole roofs any longer as he does not want to fool with the labor of
doing the whole roof and does not want to hire the min. wage guys who
will mess things up/or the high insurance payments he has to make on the
workers..... 10 yrs. on a roof seems pretty short lived... probably
ventilation problems in the attic that caused the roofs to fall apart
and curl early in its life...

Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 30th 04 12:25 AM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Flat roof in Western Scotland - your opinion please none none UK diy 17 January 14th 04 08:20 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 10:05 PM