Eric Tonks

Default Black powdery residue from chrome hinges

Sounds like they need some lubrication to stop metal rubbing against metal
which slowly grinds the metal into a black powder that you will see coming
out the joints between the two halves.

Only a drop or so will do the job, getting it inside the joint of the hing
is the hard part.

"Betsy" wrote in message
m...
I have custom, built-in bedroom cabinets that have chrome hinges ( I
believe they are chrome) that give off a black powdery residue. The
cabinets are covered with a suede like material. I have vacuumed the
residue, but as the problem continues, removal and keeping the
cabinets clean becomes more difficult. Is there anything that can be
done to the hinges to stop the residue. If I need to replace the
hinges, which appear to be customed made also, who would do that -
what kind of company would I seek out?
Thanks for all help!
Betsy

Art Begun

Some idiot in the hinge industry decided that it would be a good idea
to pre-lubricate all hinges with graphite. We spend 3 days removing
hinge pins from our new house doors, cleaning the hinge and pins with
WD40 to remove the graphite and then reassemblying them. Only then
could we keep carpets clean under the hinges. I figure someone
invented a machine to install graphite into hinges at the hinge
factories and sold it to every manufacturer before any one with a
brain thought about it.

"Betsy" wrote in message
m...
I have custom, built-in bedroom cabinets that have chrome hinges

( I
believe they are chrome) that give off a black powdery residue. The
cabinets are covered with a suede like material. I have vacuumed the
residue, but as the problem continues, removal and keeping the
cabinets clean becomes more difficult. Is there anything that can be
done to the hinges to stop the residue. If I need to replace the
hinges, which appear to be customed made also, who would do that -
what kind of company would I seek out?
Thanks for all help!
Betsy

gg

I beleave your rite,it most likely is graphite,these doors would have to be
getting alot of use for ot to be metal wearing and powdering out. remove
them from the cabinets first becouse that stuff can stain. then try to
remove the pins but they dont always comeout of small cabinet hinges soak
them in a solvent minaral sprt, paint thinner and then blow them out with
your compressure.if you dont have a compressure rinse them real good inthe
kitchen sink, after running them through the dishwasher a cpl. of time . I
find the dishwasher is good for ceaning alot of things,besides dishs. you
most likely can do this yourself ,if not any handyman, that a friend in your
area has used and liked could take care of it.