Dawn

Default Vinyl Tile Mess

My husband installed vinyl tiles in our basement utility room last
winter (glue-on tiles over concrete). The glue never dried, and has
been oozing out between the tiles since they were installed, and now
with summer and a bit of humidity, the tiles are sliding all over the
place. It's a real mess.

I suspect part of the problem may be that he didn't read directions
and didn't let the glue sit for the 90 minutes prior to laying the
tile.

At any rate, I've got a gluey-sticky mess that I need to clean up and
I really have no idea how to start.

I could pull up the tiles, but what do I use to clean up the sticky
glue?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
jim

Dawn wrote:

My husband installed vinyl tiles in our basement utility room last
winter (glue-on tiles over concrete). The glue never dried, and has
been oozing out between the tiles since they were installed, and now
with summer and a bit of humidity, the tiles are sliding all over the
place. It's a real mess.

I suspect part of the problem may be that he didn't read directions
and didn't let the glue sit for the 90 minutes prior to laying the
tile.

At any rate, I've got a gluey-sticky mess that I need to clean up and
I really have no idea how to start.

I could pull up the tiles, but what do I use to clean up the sticky
glue?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

get some playground sand.. spread it around to pick up some of the gluey
mess... take a shovel and use your foot to push it along and lift the
tiles... then throw them away, they are ruined.....i used a razor blade
scraper(single edge razor blades in a scraper with a handle and just
keep on scraping(it worked to get off the hard glue that was down
holding on the old tiles that i had to remove from a utility room,
concrete floor..... i also used putty knives and broad (wide blade
knives, think they were for spreading sheet rock mud mix, but they
worked for what i needed..... i cant understand GOOD vinyl floor tile
cement not drying in over a year...... go to a place like Ace hardware
or true value where you can talk to an owner of the store and get some
good information and tell them what the problem was and maybe they can
figure it out..... the stuff i used dried in a few minutes or so.......

also ask the hardware store guy how to apply it... i used the side of
blade that was serrated in a small pattern and it took off much of the
paste from the floor while spreading it.. might be he had too much on
the floor in the first place????? but it still should have dried in a
year......

Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM
Screwfix Tile Cutter Rod Hewitt UK diy 5 October 28th 03 10:44 PM
Vinyl Tile "repair" Stephen Gower UK diy 1 July 14th 03 11:48 AM
Any advancements in vinyl tile removal? Ryan Home Repair 0 June 23rd 03 05:51 AM