Tim Fischer

Default Will Washer Vibration Damage Floor?

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my
floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick. Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor? I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Seems like I hear a news story about a washer spinning itself through the
floor and into the basement almost every day.

-Tim

Anthony Ewell

Tim Fischer wrote:

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my
floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick. Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor? I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Seems like I hear a news story about a washer spinning itself through the
floor and into the basement almost every day.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

My washer, dryer, water heater, and forced air heater are
all next each other in a big square. Is there a way to
reinforce the floor just under the laundry room? The crawl
space is about 2-1/2 foot from the ground to the bottom
of the floor. (I was thinking of a bigger water heater as
well.)

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

MF

Hello,

I'm not that familiar with peir and beam (did I get that right?) houses, but
in my 'sitting here guessing' mode, arent there tresses or something every
16-24 inches apart underneath the plywood? This should give it the strength
it needs. if it has these trusses or floor joists or whatever they are
called, you could run two by fours between the joists under the heavy stuff,
and perhaps get some concrete pylons and put supports on these pylons that
reach up to the floor from underneath. Some of the turn of the century and
early 1900's houses in the Dallas area have Bois D'arc tree stumps as the
pylon support underneath. And, the obvious, make sure the washer is
balanced, and don't wash funky loads of clothes that cause the washer to
dance, as my family is so fond of doing.

To stop flamers in advance, I am not a foundation person, just expressing
opinions. And, I'm sure with some of the technical stuff we have seen on
this group that someone out there has an idea of the weight bearing load
limits of the plywood, depending on number and spacing of joists under it.

Maury
Wylie, TX

"Anthony Ewell" wrote in message

Tim Fischer wrote:

[...]

ameijers

"Anthony Ewell" wrote in message

(snip)

Hi Tim,

My washer, dryer, water heater, and forced air heater are
all next each other in a big square. Is there a way to
reinforce the floor just under the laundry room? The crawl
space is about 2-1/2 foot from the ground to the bottom
of the floor. (I was thinking of a bigger water heater as
well.)

--Tony

Anything can be reinforced, but why do you think you need to? Unless you
keep getting the floor wet and it rots, a typical residential floor can
easily handle that load. The big metal things themselves don't weigh that
much empty- basically big tin boxes plus a few pounds of
castings/motors/etc. Water does weigh, but only 8 pound per gallon or so. So
figure 40 gallons for the water heater, maybe 10? for the washer, for 400
pounds plus hardware. Call it maybe 800 pounds overall? You wouldn't worry
about four big guys being in the same room at once, would you? (I'm sure
someone will jump in and correct my SWAG estimates as needed.)

But yeah, if you want to go down in crawlspace, and dig holes for and pour
footers, and lay up a few piers topped with PT wood (or short screw-top
columns), holding up some short pieces of steel or 2x8 headers jammed up
against the joists in that area, go for it. Just make sure you don't block
off access to the gas and water lines and whatever else is down there, or
provide an easy path for termite infestation.

aem sends...

Carpenter Ant

"Anthony Ewell" wrote in message
Hi All,

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my
floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick. Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor? I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Many thanks,
--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

What type of finish flooring do you have?
or do you live in a house with plywood floors?

CA

Anthony Ewell

ameijers wrote:

[...]

It is the constant vibration that concerns me.
--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

Anthony Ewell

Carpenter Ant wrote:

"Anthony Ewell" wrote in message

Hi All,

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my
floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick. Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor? I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Many thanks,
--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.
-------------------------

What type of finish flooring do you have?
or do you live in a house with plywood floors?

CA

There is linoleum on top of the plywood. :-D

--Tony

--
-------------------------
I Fish. Therefore, I am.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:38:00 -0700 Anthony Ewell
posted:

Hi All,

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my

So what brand is it that spins three times as fast? What brand did
you have before?

The faster it spins the dryer the clothes will be afterwards, and the
shorter the drying time. (Although there must be a limit to this. I
can imagine maybe it would cause wrinkles to set in if it spun even
faster than yours.

floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick.

One inch is plenty, even if it vibrates a lot.

Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor?

No.

BTW, I used 3/8th inch plywood for my attic floor. It's not really
enough, especially now that I've gained weight and don't always
remember to step where the joists are. But half inch would be enough,
I'm sure, just for me, but i agree with Ameijers.

I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Many thanks,
--Tony