MF

Default Will Washer Vibration Damage Floor?

Hello,

I'm not that familiar with peir and beam (did I get that right?) houses, but
in my 'sitting here guessing' mode, arent there tresses or something every
16-24 inches apart underneath the plywood? This should give it the strength
it needs. if it has these trusses or floor joists or whatever they are
called, you could run two by fours between the joists under the heavy stuff,
and perhaps get some concrete pylons and put supports on these pylons that
reach up to the floor from underneath. Some of the turn of the century and
early 1900's houses in the Dallas area have Bois D'arc tree stumps as the
pylon support underneath. And, the obvious, make sure the washer is
balanced, and don't wash funky loads of clothes that cause the washer to
dance, as my family is so fond of doing.

To stop flamers in advance, I am not a foundation person, just expressing
opinions. And, I'm sure with some of the technical stuff we have seen on
this group that someone out there has an idea of the weight bearing load
limits of the plywood, depending on number and spacing of joists under it.

Maury
Wylie, TX

"Anthony Ewell" wrote in message

Tim Fischer wrote:

My new washing machine spins three times faster than
my old unit. Very nice results. But, it does vibrate my
floor to a much greater extent than the old unit. My house
is ~13 years old (made in USA) and my floor is made of
plywood, ~1" thick. Has anyone ever heard of this greater
vibration damaging the floor? I plan on living in this
house for a lot of years!

Seems like I hear a news story about a washer spinning itself through

the
floor and into the basement almost every day.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

My washer, dryer, water heater, and forced air heater are
all next each other in a big square. Is there a way to
reinforce the floor just under the laundry room? The crawl
space is about 2-1/2 foot from the ground to the bottom
of the floor. (I was thinking of a bigger water heater as
well.)

--Tony

--
I Fish. Therefore, I am.