Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tappan Glow Plug

I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now the
oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems "wasteful"
somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else needs repair.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:25:43 PM UTC-5, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now the
oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems "wasteful"
somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else needs repair.
--
charles

Is there is a pilot light? Most modern gas furnaces I've seen don't have a standing pilot but have a silicon carbide igniter that glows long enough to light the pilot light which has a sensing electrode in the pilot flame which will allow the control board to turn on the main burner. If your stove is a simpler design than a furnace, it could be that it doesn't have a pilot light and the glow plug/igniter is designed to stay on for the duration of the burner operation. If you could post the model number and perhaps a picture, folks here in the group could figure it out. You can upload a picture to "http://tinypic.com/" then post a link here. I'd be interested to know. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

That may be more than my abilities allow. There is no pilot light and the
glow plug (their name for the device).

Replacing the device changed nothing else so perhaps it is supposed to
remain on while the flame is on.

I'll try to get more info.

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 23:18:43 -0700, Charles Bishop
wrote:

That may be more than my abilities allow. There is no pilot light and the
glow plug (their name for the device).

Replacing the device changed nothing else so perhaps it is supposed to
remain on while the flame is on.

I'll try to get more info.

Is it actually "glowing" or does it have that appearance, because it
remains in the flame?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Charles Bishop typed:
I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now the
oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems
"wasteful" somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else
needs repair.

I usually don't know much about appliance repair, but I am beginning to
learn more and more through experience and by going to
http://repairclinic.com and clicking on the "Repair Help" tab in the upper
left of the home page.

I just did that and I think I found the answer to your question.

The igniter (glow plug) for the oven is supposed to stay on and keep glowing
even while the oven flame is burning -- until the oven reaches the
temperature that it is set at (such as 350 degrees or whatever -- at which
time the igniter and the flame will turn off. Later, when the oven
temperature begins to drop below the temperature it is set for, the igniter
glows again, the gas valve opens, and the gas flame is re-ignited and again
they both stay on until the oven reaches the temperature that it is set at.

The following YouTube video from the repairclinic.com website explains that.
The part about the oven starts at the 2:30 time point in the video. Here's
the video link:
https://youtu.be/hweqe2tPklo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2016 3:25 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now the
oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems "wasteful"
somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else needs repair.

They're called ignitors, fuskin' maroon.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Charles Bishop typed:
I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now
the oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems
"wasteful" somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else
needs repair.

I usually don't know much about appliance repair, but I am beginning
to learn more and more through experience and by going to
http://repairclinic.com and clicking on the "Repair Help" tab in the
upper left of the home page.

I just did that and I think I found the answer to your question. . . . ,

And, just for kicks, I tried creating a link to the video that starts right
at the part where it talks about gas ovens:
https://youtu.be/hweqe2tPklo?t=148

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "TomR"
wrote:

In ,
Charles Bishop typed:
[...]

Great. Thanks.

I'll bookmark the page.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That may be more than my abilities allow. There is no pilot light and the
glow plug (their name for the device).

Replacing the device changed nothing else so perhaps it is supposed to
remain on while the flame is on.

I'll try to get more info.

Is it actually "glowing" or does it have that appearance, because it
remains in the flame?

Actually glowing - others have told me how it works.