Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default Tappan Glow Plug

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:25:43 PM UTC-5, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a Tappan gas range and had to replace the glow plug and now the
oven lights and works.

The question I have is whether the glow plug is supposed to remain on
after the burner has lit, and I can see the flames. It seems "wasteful"
somehow and I'd like to check to see if something else needs repair.
--
charles

Is there is a pilot light? Most modern gas furnaces I've seen don't have a
standing pilot but have a silicon carbide igniter that glows long enough to
light the pilot light which has a sensing electrode in the pilot flame which
will allow the control board to turn on the main burner. If your stove is a
simpler design than a furnace, it could be that it doesn't have a pilot light
and the glow plug/igniter is designed to stay on for the duration of the
burner operation. If you could post the model number and perhaps a picture,
folks here in the group could figure it out. You can upload a picture to
"http://tinypic.com/" then post a link here. I'd be interested to know.
ヽ(ヅ)ノ

That may be more than my abilities allow. There is no pilot light and the
glow plug (their name for the device).

Replacing the device changed nothing else so perhaps it is supposed to
remain on while the flame is on.

I'll try to get more info.

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

--