Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar cells to charge battery? How?

I use a deep-discharge backup battery I keep on a
charger and a 12v light and fan during power outages.
So far no problems.

But someone got me thinking thinking, what if the
battery runs down? Put a solar cell or several out in
the sun and use them to charge during the day. What
do I need to do this? Where can I conveniently buy
the cell and other stuff locally? Home Depot or
Lowes? No urgency or I'd Google for this, storm
season is about over, but for the future.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/16 1:44 PM, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge backup battery I keep on a
charger and a 12v light and fan during power outages.
So far no problems.

But someone got me thinking thinking, what if the
battery runs down? Put a solar cell or several out in
the sun and use them to charge during the day. What
do I need to do this? Where can I conveniently buy
the cell and other stuff locally? Home Depot or
Lowes? No urgency or I'd Google for this, storm
season is about over, but for the future.

TIA

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...er%2Caps%2C368

or http://tinyurl.com/zozelbh

or most any auto parts store has complete units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2016 10:44 AM, KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge backup battery I keep on a
charger and a 12v light and fan during power outages.
So far no problems.

But someone got me thinking thinking, what if the
battery runs down? Put a solar cell or several out in
the sun and use them to charge during the day. What
do I need to do this? Where can I conveniently buy
the cell and other stuff locally? Home Depot or
Lowes? No urgency or I'd Google for this, storm
season is about over, but for the future.

TIA

How big is the battery?
What's the load on it when the sun shines?
How fast do you want it to charge in winter?
Where do you live?

Bottom line is that it makes no sense to try to quick charge
a battery that you rarely use. Cost far exceeds benefit.

Key phrase is "So far no problems."

If it ain't broke...
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I use a deep-discharge backup battery I keep on a
charger and a 12v light and fan during power outages.
So far no problems.

But someone got me thinking thinking, what if the
battery runs down? Put a solar cell or several out in
the sun and use them to charge during the day. What
do I need to do this? Where can I conveniently buy
the cell and other stuff locally? Home Depot or
Lowes? No urgency or I'd Google for this, storm
season is about over, but for the future.

TIA

I have a charge controller I found on eBay. Nothing more than a constatnt
voltage supply, with temperature sensed battery. The charge voltage is
adjustable. Something like 13.8 volt nominal. Got two HF panels.

Greg