Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt

Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

Regards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

Posted to rec.woodworking

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

Regards.

No, but if you hum me a few bars I can fake it ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"CW" wrote in message
m...

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

During the day, when you don't need the light.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:300120102307117685%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

In article , bw
wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
m...

".." wrote in message

om...
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per
Watt on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

During the day, when you don't need the light.

During a local phone-in radio show the other day someone actually
said we should be flying kites with wires like Ben Franklin to utilize
lightening as an alternate energy source.

He was dead-drop serious, too.

And, he gets to vote.

If I believed in God, I'd say "God help us". Alas, I think we're
doomed.

Common sense is a misnomer, as our dear Frazier ("housekeeping") said.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:07:11 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , bw
wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
m...

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

During the day, when you don't need the light.

During a local phone-in radio show the other day someone actually said
we should be flying kites with wires like Ben Franklin to utilize
lightening as an alternate energy source.

What did he say his use for "darkening" was? Oh, you meant
"ligntning", didn't you? Sorry.

He was dead-drop serious, too.

And, he gets to vote.

If I believed in God, I'd say "God help us". Alas, I think we're doomed.

They live among us...

"They live among us and still have jobs?

I was at the checkout of a K-Mart. The clerk rang up $46.64
charge. I gave her a fifty dollar bill. She gave me back
$46.64. I gave it back to her and told her that she had made
a mistake in MY favor and gave her the money back. She
became indignant and informed me she was educated and knew
what she was doing, and returned the money again. I gave her
the money back again...same scenario! I departed the store
with the $46.64. This actually happened to me in Austin at
MoPac Blvd. and Parmer Lane .......They walk among us and
many work retail.

I walked into a Mickey D's with a buy-one-get-one-free
coupon for a sandwich. I handed it to the girl and she
looked over at a little chalkboard that said "buy one-get
one free." "They're already buy-one-get-one-free", she said
, "so I guess they're both free."
She handed me my free sandwiches and I walked out the
door.......They walk among us and many work retail.

One day, I was walking down the beach with some friends when
one of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone
looked up at the sky and said, "Where?".............They
walk among us!

While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate
agent which direction was north because, he explained, he
didn't want the sun waking him up every morning.
She asked, "Does the sun rise in the north?"
When my brother explained that the sun rises in the east,
and has for sometime,
she shook her head and said, "Oh I don't keep up with that
stuff."...........They walk among us!!

I used to work in technical support for a 24/7 call center.
One day, I got a call from an individual who asked what
hours the call center was open. I told him,
"The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?"
Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Uh,
Pacific."...............They walk among us!

My sister has a lifesaving tool in her car designed to cut
through a seat belt if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the
trunk......... They walk among us!

My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the
cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we
bought 2 cases. The cashier multiplied 2 times 10% and gave
us a 20% discount.......... They walk among us!

I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area, so I
went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there
that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to
worry because she was a trained professional and I was in
good hands. "Now," she asked me, has your plane arrived
yet?"............They walk among us!

While working at a pizza parlor, I observed a man ordering a
small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook
asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He
thought about it for some time before responding.
"Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough
to eat 6 pieces." ...............Yep, they walk among us!

They walk among us, and they reproduce, and worst of
all.......they vote!

* 2 years ago
rong444 from Yahoo Answers."

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 10:07*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , bw

wrote:
"CW" wrote in message
om...

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
onwww.ebay.com?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

During the day, when you don't need the light.

During a local phone-in radio show the other day

Nothing that starts that way ... ever ends well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:56:52 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

What did he say his use for "darkening" was? Oh, you meant
"ligntning", didn't you? Sorry.

Nope. I meant lightning, C-Less...

;-)

HAH! YOu got me back, instantly. Two points, Baldy.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've posted this before, but I went to Lowe's to get a piece of glass
once and asked the woman to cut it to 8 and 7/8ths by 11 and 7/8ths.
To which she replied "what's a seveneighths?". Yes, they walk among
us.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Jay Pique wrote in news:b5b8eac6-be28-4fa0-a87c-
:

I've posted this before, but I went to Lowe's to get a piece of glass
once and asked the woman to cut it to 8 and 7/8ths by 11 and 7/8ths.
To which she replied "what's a seveneighths?". Yes, they walk among
us.

Some of grew up metric ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" writes:

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

Yep. For 20+ years.

For that same USD100, you can run a laptop (or two) during daylight
hours for 20 years. That turns
out to be USD5 per year; not a bad deal, compared to the alternative.

Assume 8 hours/day at 100w. .8kw/day * 365 days = 292KwH/year.

Assume USD0.15/KwH * 292 Kwh = USD43.83/year.

In two years you've pretty much paid off the USD100 for the solar cells.

(of course, the original mail was pure spam, and you'll need an inverter
and transfer switch, so I'm not sure about the dollar per watt figure
either).
Posted to rec.woodworking

And you need bright sunlight all day.

Here in East Texas, I find it hard to keep my batteries charged in the
weather station that are constantly being charged (or not) by the sun.

So much fog and heavy clouds that the cells don't generate enough current
to charge anything. It takes several days to charge a depleted battery
and we are lucky to have three sunny days in a row.

Martin

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"CW" writes:
".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

Yep. For 20+ years.

For that same USD100, you can run a laptop (or two) during daylight
hours for 20 years. That turns
out to be USD5 per year; not a bad deal, compared to the alternative.

Assume 8 hours/day at 100w. .8kw/day * 365 days = 292KwH/year.

Assume USD0.15/KwH * 292 Kwh = USD43.83/year.

In two years you've pretty much paid off the USD100 for the solar cells.

(of course, the original mail was pure spam, and you'll need an inverter
and transfer switch, so I'm not sure about the dollar per watt figure
either).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2010 9:02 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
And you need bright sunlight all day.

Here in East Texas, I find it hard to keep my batteries charged in the
weather station that are constantly being charged (or not) by the sun.

So much fog and heavy clouds that the cells don't generate enough current
to charge anything. It takes several days to charge a depleted battery
and we are lucky to have three sunny days in a row.

Have the same problem with a solar cell running a gate opener to the
shop driveway here in Houston. The marine battery is struggling to keep
a charge with no sun. Next sun forecast is six days from now ... bring
on some GW!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
And you need bright sunlight all day.

Here in East Texas, I find it hard to keep my batteries charged in the
weather station that are constantly being charged (or not) by the sun.

So much fog and heavy clouds that the cells don't generate enough current
to charge anything. It takes several days to charge a depleted battery
and we are lucky to have three sunny days in a row.

Try it here, in Seattle.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edward A. Falk wrote:

The cheaper and cleaner technologies such as hydroelectric are run
24/7 while dirtier technologies like coal are run during the peak
demand times. Since solar peaks during the peak demand times, solar
has a disproportionately positive effect on pollution.

Generally, coal and nuclear are base-load w/ hydro and gas turbines as
load-following. The percentage of base-load hydro overall, while
significant for a few utilities is minimal in the bigger picture owing
to there simply not being enough places that have the resource.

There are two peaks as well, one daytime and another (usually, but not
always somewhat smaller) nighttime for heat load in cold climates.

Solar isn't necessarily all that disproportionate in the larger picture
is the point.

Only if there are significant subsidies in play for the buy-back of
household generation to the utilities does the net-zero balance
generally actually work financially. Most places that have net metering
do by legislation/regulation require paying more than what the base rate
is for incremental generation. All this really does is subsidize a few
at the expense of many. Fortunately, so far the amounts are
sufficiently small as it doesn't show up but as mandated green
requirements mount it's going to start being noticeable and those who
already complain here about high bills will really have something to cry
over...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know the pacific North west -
I lived off the coast in 7 acres of Redwoods near Santa Cruz.
70-90 inches of ran a year and 60 in a drought!

Martin

CW wrote:

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"CW" writes:
".." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Running lights during the day isn't stupid.

Consider homes built with deep porches - to enjoy on good and bad
days - and prevent the hot sun from bleaching and heating a room.

I plan on some day of putting in wind and solar. I hope solar goes
UV. That would be much better than IR.

Martin

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
CW wrote:
How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

At $1/watt, it's competitive with pretty much any other power-generating
technology.

But that's just for the cells. Cells have to be built into panels
and panels have to be connected to control and distribution systems.
If you can do all that for less than $2/watt, I'd be surprised.

Once the $1/watt barrier is truly broken, we're going to see
an economic and environmental revolution.

Points to ponder:

Yes, running your light bulb during the day when the sun is shining
anyway sounds stupid, but that's just because it's a stupid example.
Peak power demands are during the day because of industry and air
conditioning, so solar power peaks just when it's most needed.

You don't need batteries to benefit from solar energy. Sell to the power
company during the day, buy back at night. The grid is your battery.
I have a friend who has a couple solar arrays on his property, and his
average electric bill is zero. He doesn't need batteries and his house
isn't dark or cold at night.

The cheaper and cleaner technologies such as hydroelectric are run
24/7 while dirtier technologies like coal are run during the peak
demand times. Since solar peaks during the peak demand times, solar
has a disproportionately positive effect on pollution.

Solar cells don't wear out; they just need to be cleaned every year or so.
The manufacturers only claim 20-30 year life because they don't want to
be on the hook warranty-wise for any longer than that.

There are companies such as Nanosolar which are working on cheap thin-film
technologies that should truly make solar power economically competitive
with dirtier technologies. Nanosolar doesn't seem to have all the
bugs worked out of the process yet, and I don't think their competitors
have either, but I think we'll see the breakthrough within the decade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Running lights during the day isn't stupid.

Consider homes built with deep porches - to enjoy on good and bad
days - and prevent the hot sun from bleaching and heating a room.

I plan on some day of putting in wind and solar. I hope solar goes
UV. That would be much better than IR.

Martin

Have you run the Planck curve equations in the UV compared to the IR band?
Then factor in atmospheric extinction in those wavebands.

Rob Leatham