Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt

"CW" writes:

".." wrote in message
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
on www.ebay.com ?

How exciting. For only a hundred bucks I can run a light bulb.

Yep. For 20+ years.

For that same USD100, you can run a laptop (or two) during daylight
hours for 20 years. That turns
out to be USD5 per year; not a bad deal, compared to the alternative.

Assume 8 hours/day at 100w. .8kw/day * 365 days = 292KwH/year.

Assume USD0.15/KwH * 292 Kwh = USD43.83/year.

In two years you've pretty much paid off the USD100 for the solar cells.

(of course, the original mail was pure spam, and you'll need an inverter
and transfer switch, so I'm not sure about the dollar per watt figure
either).