Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winterizing Outdoor Plumbing

Hi,

The home is in the Sacramento, CA area. It sometimes gets down to 28-30
degrees F in the winter months. Last year I use that black spongy pipe
insulation to protect my pvc supply to valve lines, and all hose bibs.
This was especially difficult because the piping is tortuous, but it
worked.

I'd like to find an easier way. I've seen those green batten stuffed bags
used to protect large piping systems at industrial and office sites. That
seem like a good way, but I can't find anyting like that that fits my
needs.

Next I thought about wraping the pipe assemblies (all pipes at once,
including sprinkler valves) with either bubble wrap or that thin spongy
black or white sheets, and then covering with a tarp like material.

Some of the piping assemblies are large...2' x 2'.

Any comments?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris writes:
Hi,

The home is in the Sacramento, CA area. It sometimes gets down to 28-30
degrees F in the winter months.

Generally only for a couple of hours before it warms back up. It's
probably not enough to worry about, although the black foam is probably
your best bet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:37:21 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
[...]

If you can't find the semi-split tube foam insulation at a supply house or home improvement store you can always get some swim noodles and slit them with a razor knife and put the on your pipes. Cable ties or duct tape can secure the insulation. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/s/split%252...ulation?NCNI-5

https://www.amazon.com/4pc-Deluxe-Wa.../dp/B01G9PK9CI

[8~{} Uncle Insulated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/split%252...520insulation?

NCNI-
5

https://www.amazon.com/4pc-Deluxe-Wa.../dp/B01G9PK9CI

[8~{} Uncle Insulated Monster

Hi,

Basically, I did that last year, but Lowes/Home Depot had the split
black foam tubing, with self-sticking stuff. I had to buy two size
diameters, since my pipe sizes varied, and I also used special cold
weather tape to add additional 'stick'. It all worked great, but lots
of measuring and planning and cutting. This spring, I had to cut them
all off. Don't want to do again, so that's why I;m looking for and
easier way, such as wrapping the entire set of pipes with sheet foam.

Winterizing Erma L. Home Repair 7 October 28th 13 09:21 AM
Outdoor plumbing repair Bill[_18_] UK diy 7 July 8th 11 06:39 PM
Winterizing cshenk Home Repair 4 October 18th 08 10:55 PM
Outdoor Plumbing Problem bakechad Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 10:06 PM
Trampoline Winterizing Tom Accuosti Home Ownership 2 November 10th 04 03:55 AM