Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Winterizing Outdoor Plumbing

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:37:21 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Hi,

The home is in the Sacramento, CA area. It sometimes gets down to
28-30

degrees F in the winter months. Last year I use that black spongy
pipe

insulation to protect my pvc supply to valve lines, and all hose
bibs.

This was especially difficult because the piping is tortuous, but it
worked.

I'd like to find an easier way. I've seen those green batten stuffed
bag

used to protect large piping systems at industrial and office sites.
Tha

seem like a good way, but I can't find anyting like that that fits my
needs.

Next I thought about wraping the pipe assemblies (all pipes at once,
including sprinkler valves) with either bubble wrap or that thin
spongy

black or white sheets, and then covering with a tarp like material.

Some of the piping assemblies are large...2' x 2'.

Any comments?

TIA

If you can't find the semi-split tube foam insulation at a supply
house or home improvement store you can always get some swim noodles
and slit them with a razor knife and put the on your pipes. Cable ties
or duct tape can secure the insulation. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/s/split%252...520insulation?

NCNI-
5

https://www.amazon.com/4pc-Deluxe-Wa.../dp/B01G9PK9CI

[8~{} Uncle Insulated Monster

Hi,

Basically, I did that last year, but Lowes/Home Depot had the split
black foam tubing, with self-sticking stuff. I had to buy two size
diameters, since my pipe sizes varied, and I also used special cold
weather tape to add additional 'stick'. It all worked great, but lots
of measuring and planning and cutting. This spring, I had to cut them
all off. Don't want to do again, so that's why I;m looking for and
easier way, such as wrapping the entire set of pipes with sheet foam.