DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Home Repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/)
-   -   Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/402178-electrical-outlets-upside-down-code.html)

Sir Gaygory's Owner's Owner ?B?8J+Qtuesmw==?= January 9th 19 06:44 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:41:58 -0800, LO AND BEHOLD; "Colonel Edmund J.
Burke" determined that the following was
of great importance and subsequently decided to freely share it with us
in :

✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ were "upside down".* They are positioned with the ground pin hole at
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom.* I agree that,
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ "look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom.* But, my belief
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ and that there is no right or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down"
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ bottom to pass the electrical inspection. Is there anything in the NEC
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ that says that one way is "upside down" and the other way is the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ "correct" orientation?
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ I have previously covered this priorly. The ground pin is placed in the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ superior position for safety reasons, mostly to prevent metal-to-metal
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ contact with the load pin. Such a contact could result in a
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ two-dimensional array of charge-isolated implosions that likely result
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ in total wire failure (or TMF as we certified electricians call it).
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ I hope the above helps.

now show us how to calculate a voltage potential between two conductors.

--
[THIS POAST HAS PASSED TRIMCHECK® VALIDATION]

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6B8jGSdLA

"Thanks to muzzies and their apologist-enablers like puppy whistle, this
seems to be the new norm in the world. It's spreading like a cancer,
and it's time we admit we're at war with pure evil. We need to put an
end to this muzzie plague, or life on Earth is going to become pure hell
everywhere. We need to get these people out of every civilized
country, and there's only one way to do it. IOW, we have to become
like them, with an emphasis on expediency over cruelty." - Checkmate (of alt.checkmate)

"Pussy Willow has just proven that Trump's crackdown on previously
unenforced immigration policies is working. We'll deal with the domestic
terrorists as needed, but we don't need to be letting the muzzie
terrorists get a foothold in our country too. One need only look at what
they're doing in Europe right now to know we're doing the right thing by
keeping them out, which is our right and our duty. - Checkmate (#1 pussy willow fan)

-

"You just made puppy whistle's sig line longer." - Janithor

-

"If I have a complaint about the (Southern Poverty) Law Center's description (of the alt-right movement), it is the phrase "heavy use of social media," which implies the alt-right is a real-world movement which uses a lot of social media. This is backwards: it is an online movement which occasionally appears in the real world. Where it gets punched." - Jason Rhode

-

"I think we should destroy every last ****ing mosque in America." - "Checkmate, DoW #1" proves for us that white males are violent in Message-ID:

-

Golden Killfile, June 2005
KOTM, November 2006
Bob Allisat Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, November 2006
Special Ops Cody Memorial Purple Heart, November 2006
Special Ops Cody Memorial Purple Heart, September 2007
Tony Sidaway Memorial "Drama Queen" Award, November 2006
Busted Urinal Award, April 2007
Order of the Holey Sockpuppet, September 2007
Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle, September 2006
Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle, April 2008
Tinfoil Sombrero, February 2007
AUK Mascot, September 2007
Putting the Awards Out of Order to Screw With the OCD ****heads, March 2016


Ed Pawlowski[_3_] January 9th 19 08:24 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On 1/9/2019 11:31 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:05:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/9/2019 9:04 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 1/8/2019 10:40 PM,
wrote:
TomR:

If you look closely at the front of a bare(uninstalled)
receptacle, you'll see tiny writing on many that is
legible only when the receptacle is held so that
the ground is on top.* There's a major clue for all
the "looks silly with ground on top" crowd!* ;)


** My refrigerator has a 90 degree angled plug.* To minimize stress on
the cable, the wall receptacle needs to be installed with the ground pin
down.

Yet my 20 year old Fedders air conditioner should have pin up.


No A/C plugs are made to assume the unit is mounted higher than the
receptacle so the cord is oriented up.

Yet every window in the house is higher than every recepacle in the house.

[email protected] January 9th 19 08:45 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote "I have previously covered this priorly.
The ground pin is placed in the superior position for safety reasons, mostly to prevent metal-to-metal
contact with the load pin. Such a contact could result in a two-dimensional array of charge-isolated
implosions that likely result in total wire failure (or TMF as we certified electricians call it).

Thank you! We agree at least on that.

The only reason 99.5% of grounded receptacles in USA are
installed with ground pin down is because they kind of look
like a FACE - :- Install them ground side up, and to most
Yankees they look "weird". Many Americans have predilections and
stereotypes of what looks or is weird to them.

[email protected] January 9th 19 08:49 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 15:24:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yet my 20 year old Fedders air conditioner should have pin up.


No A/C plugs are made to assume the unit is mounted higher than the
receptacle so the cord is oriented up.

Yet every window in the house is higher than every recepacle in the house.


The cord goes up too, in the direction away from the ground pin.
On a washer, the cord goes down in the direction of the ground pin
.... assuming you install the receptacle ground pin down.

George January 9th 19 10:28 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On 1/9/2019 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in the office.* He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug blades.



So one neurotic inspector held the entire town hostage? I hope someone forced him to go get professional help.


David January 10th 19 07:55 AM

Everyone KEEPS having Endless Fun Beating the Shit out of Poor Helpless Gay Goran Razovic! LOL
 


"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message
...

On 6/11/2018 11:35 AM, Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:52:42 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, making an
ass
of herself as "jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry'
Shein's jew aliash)", farted again:

what would be dumb?


That would be anything coming out of a moulie mouth.


That would indeed be you, you dumb piece of serbian ****!


LOL

I'm doing allright.


Sir Gaygory's Owner's Owner ?B?8J+Qtuesmw==?= January 10th 19 05:03 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 08:58:57 -0800, LO AND BEHOLD; "Colonel Edmund J.
Burke" determined that the following was
of great importance and subsequently decided to freely share it with us
in :

✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ On 1/9/2019 10:44 AM, 💩's Owner 🐶笛 wrote:
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:41:58 -0800, LO AND BEHOLD; "Colonel Edmund J.
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ Burke" determined that the following was
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ of great importance and subsequently decided to freely share it with us
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ in : ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote: ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ A friend of mine asked me today why
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ the electrical outlets in my house ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ were "upside down".* They are
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ positioned with the ground pin hole at
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom.* I agree that,
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ to
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ "look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom.* But, my belief
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ is
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ and
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ that there is no right or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ My
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down"
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ and
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ bottom to pass the electrical inspection. Is there anything in the NEC
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ that
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ says that one way is "upside down" and the other way is the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ "correct" orientation? ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ I have previously covered this
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ priorly. The ground pin is placed in the
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ superior position for safety reasons,
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ mostly to prevent metal-to-metal ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ contact with the load pin. Such a contact could result in a
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ two-dimensional array of
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ charge-isolated implosions that likely result
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ in total wire failure (or TMF as we
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ certified electricians call it). ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ I hope the above helps. now show us
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ ✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ how to calculate a voltage potential between two conductors.
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡ Which two?
✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡✡

one conductor has a 60Hz sine wave at 117V

the other has a 50Hz sine wave at 50V.

what is the voltage potential at t=5.76767 seconds given that the sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase and start at zero volts at t=0?

--
[THIS POAST HAS PASSED TRIMCHECK® VALIDATION]

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6B8jGSdLA

"Thanks to muzzies and their apologist-enablers like puppy whistle, this
seems to be the new norm in the world. It's spreading like a cancer,
and it's time we admit we're at war with pure evil. We need to put an
end to this muzzie plague, or life on Earth is going to become pure hell
everywhere. We need to get these people out of every civilized
country, and there's only one way to do it. IOW, we have to become
like them, with an emphasis on expediency over cruelty." - Checkmate (of alt.checkmate)

"Pussy Willow has just proven that Trump's crackdown on previously
unenforced immigration policies is working. We'll deal with the domestic
terrorists as needed, but we don't need to be letting the muzzie
terrorists get a foothold in our country too. One need only look at what
they're doing in Europe right now to know we're doing the right thing by
keeping them out, which is our right and our duty. - Checkmate (#1 pussy willow fan)

-

"You just made puppy whistle's sig line longer." - Janithor

-

"If I have a complaint about the (Southern Poverty) Law Center's description (of the alt-right movement), it is the phrase "heavy use of social media," which implies the alt-right is a real-world movement which uses a lot of social media. This is backwards: it is an online movement which occasionally appears in the real world. Where it gets punched." - Jason Rhode

-

"I think we should destroy every last ****ing mosque in America." - "Checkmate, DoW #1" proves for us that white males are violent in Message-ID:

-

Golden Killfile, June 2005
KOTM, November 2006
Bob Allisat Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, November 2006
Special Ops Cody Memorial Purple Heart, November 2006
Special Ops Cody Memorial Purple Heart, September 2007
Tony Sidaway Memorial "Drama Queen" Award, November 2006
Busted Urinal Award, April 2007
Order of the Holey Sockpuppet, September 2007
Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle, September 2006
Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle, April 2008
Tinfoil Sombrero, February 2007
AUK Mascot, September 2007
Putting the Awards Out of Order to Screw With the OCD ****heads, March 2016


Mark[_56_] January 10th 19 05:55 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
I'm in the Chicago area and it was company policy to wire outlets hot - up neutral - down and ground to the right

Clare Snyder January 10th 19 07:38 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 09:55:17 -0800 (PST), Mark
wrote:

I'm in the Chicago area and it was company policy to wire outlets hot - up neutral - down and ground to the right

Which is "standard procedure" in better than 95% of North America.

[email protected] January 10th 19 08:37 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Mark wrote: "I'm in the Chicago area and it was company policy to wire outlets hot - up neutral - down
and ground to the right "

Of course, help the insurance racket by putting the
hot leg in the most vulnerable position! smdh


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2014 DIYbanter