DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/402178-electrical-outlets-upside-down-code.html)

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] January 9th 19 03:05 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/2019 9:04 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 1/8/2019 10:40 PM, wrote:
TomR:

If you look closely at the front of a bare(uninstalled)
receptacle, you'll see tiny writing on many that is
legible only when the receptacle is held so that
the ground is on top.* There's a major clue for all
the "looks silly with ground on top" crowd!* ;)

** My refrigerator has a 90 degree angled plug.* To minimize stress on
the cable, the wall receptacle needs to be installed with the ground pin
down.

Yet my 20 year old Fedders air conditioner should have pin up.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] January 9th 19 03:09 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/2019 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in
the office. He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug
blades.

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.

trader_4 January 9th 19 03:25 PM

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/9/2019 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in
the office. He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug
blades.

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.

Ralph Mowery January 9th 19 03:35 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

In article ,
says...

I was thinking similar, but couldn't think of a good example. You're
right, the new fridge here has the same thing, a flat plug designed
to not stick out. If you put it in ground pin up, there would be stress
on the cord. But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

As pointed out, there is not NEC for up or down. Some towns may have a
code or the local inspector may want it a certain way. Just do not argue
with the local man and do it his way.

There have been two thoughts on the safety. One was pin up for falling
objects. The other is pin down because of the plug starts falling out
the hot wires will come out first and then the safety ground.

[email protected] January 9th 19 04:31 PM

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:05:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/9/2019 9:04 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 1/8/2019 10:40 PM, wrote:
TomR:

If you look closely at the front of a bare(uninstalled)
receptacle, you'll see tiny writing on many that is
legible only when the receptacle is held so that
the ground is on top.* There's a major clue for all
the "looks silly with ground on top" crowd!* ;)

** My refrigerator has a 90 degree angled plug.* To minimize stress on
the cable, the wall receptacle needs to be installed with the ground pin
down.

Yet my 20 year old Fedders air conditioner should have pin up.

No A/C plugs are made to assume the unit is mounted higher than the
receptacle so the cord is oriented up.

[email protected] January 9th 19 04:33 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 07:25:37 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I mark the switched side with a red sharpie.

notX January 9th 19 06:00 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/19 12:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

On a Legrand Decora outlet the "legrand" logo is readable only with
the grount TO THE RIGHT.

Finding text unreadable because of orientation is a serious limitation.

[snip]

Mark Lloyd[_12_] January 9th 19 06:02 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/19 7:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It's rather odd that if that was the intent, that 99% are installed
with the ground prong down in the USA and passed inspection. That's
my survey from traveling widely in the USA, it's rare to find one
with the ground prong up. Why are almost all electricians doing
it wrong?

I find ground up in most hospitals and medical facilities (except older
ones).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine and murder;
for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man." -- Thomas Paine

Mark Lloyd[_12_] January 9th 19 06:06 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/19 9:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.

I have a receptacle where both halves are (separately) switched. One
side is marked with red tape, the other with green tape. The receptacle
is meant to be used for Christmas lights.

Oren[_2_] January 9th 19 06:35 PM

On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 11:33:12 -0500, wrote:

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.

I mark the switched side with a red sharpie.

Mine were marked via an adhesive blue dot. First time I saw it, in my
present home I wondered what was up with that. Finally figured it out
:-)