Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Location for Pendants from the edge of the kitchen bar.

Have a project to install pendant lights over the kitchen bar. I can find lots of tips on-line as to what the correct height should be, but nothing on the actual location as to how far back from the edge of the BAR the lights be mounted ?

I am sure you could figure out the radius of the light as it hits the bar from a height of 30" above, depending on the globe that is currently installed.
But what if we change the pendant ?

Does anyone know a rule to follow for pendant location on the ceiling with respect to the edge of the BAR ? How far back so that I am not shinning on there head and provide some light for eating ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a project to install pendant lights over the kitchen bar. I can find lots of tips on-line as to what the correct height should be, but nothing on the actual location as to how far back from the edge of the BAR the lights be mounted ?

I am sure you could figure out the radius of the light as it hits the bar from a height of 30" above, depending on the globe that is currently installed.
But what if we change the pendant ?

Does anyone know a rule to follow for pendant location on the ceiling with respect to the edge of the BAR ? How far back so that I am not shinning on there head and provide some light for eating ?

Any help is appreciated.

In a situation such as yours, I would ask the customer to sit at the bar and pretend to do things that she/he normally does. We then figure from that where the light should land. Most pendant lights do not put out a lot of light so if you want to be able to read, figure accordingly.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV