Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier producing little water.

I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it has an
issue by not producing enough water. Before i had to change bucket every 3
days and now it cant get full in a month. It does produce little water but not
as much as before. When i put it on continuous run the very bottom of the
coils forms ice. The filters are clean. I use this unit in finished basement.
Also one thing i noticed is that the unit shows humidity at 40 while monitor
in a room shows 50.Bad sensor? So i set the unit to lowest setting of 35. But
still very little water is produced and unit is running hot and sometimes i
can even smell burning so i turn it off.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-904437-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2016 9:14 AM, Max wrote:
I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it
has an
issue by not producing enough water.

It's producing no water, gummy lips.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 12:14:05 PM UTC-4, Max wrote:
I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it has an
issue by not producing enough water. Before i had to change bucket every 3
days and now it cant get full in a month. It does produce little water but not
as much as before. When i put it on continuous run the very bottom of the
coils forms ice. The filters are clean. I use this unit in finished basement.
Also one thing i noticed is that the unit shows humidity at 40 while monitor
in a room shows 50.Bad sensor? So i set the unit to lowest setting of 35. But
still very little water is produced and unit is running hot and sometimes i
can even smell burning so i turn it off.

Sounds like she's ready for the crapper. Not unusual for these modern
units to only last a few years. I had one go that was maybe 2.5
years old. Fortunately, while I almost never buy an extended warranty,
I had one on that unit. I had an online price and was negotiating
with a local store. The manager offered a deal where he was close
to their price with an extended warranty bundled in. So, I got a new
one. But even then, they get you. They no longer had the same
capacity unit, so I had to get one that was ~20% more capacity and
they wanted like $25 more for that. Still, overall it worked out
great. That one is about 3 years in now, still working.

With yours, have you checked that there is air flowing across the
coils? There are only two things that need to happen, get the coils
cold and move air across. A blocked filter, bad fan, or insufficient
cooling are the possibilities. I think they also have a defrost
cycle, so if that isn't working, it can ice up and block air,
maybe that's what's happening, since you say it's forming ice
on part of the coils.

Bottom line, if it's not something simple that you can fix yourself
time to chuck it. Ten years ago I had a Sears. Blower went on it.
So, I ordered a new blower for $50. That lasted a year. Ordered
another one, that one blew up when I turned it on. Reading online,
which I should have done first, I found that a lot of other people
were having the exact same experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2016 12:14 PM, Max wrote:
I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it
has an
issue by not producing enough water. Before i had to change bucket every 3
days and now it cant get full in a month. It does produce little water
but not
as much as before. When i put it on continuous run the very bottom of the
coils forms ice. The filters are clean. I use this unit in finished
basement.
Also one thing i noticed is that the unit shows humidity at 40 while
monitor
in a room shows 50.Bad sensor? So i set the unit to lowest setting of
35. But
still very little water is produced and unit is running hot and sometimes i
can even smell burning so i turn it off.

At 50% or less there won't be much water. In fact, I'd turn it off for
the year at that point. Cheap humidistats often give reading off by 10%
so either one may be incorrect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:14:01 +0000, Max
m wrote:

I have 3 year old soleusair gl-deh-70eip-6 dehumidifier. And i think it has an
issue by not producing enough water. Before i had to change bucket every 3
days and now it cant get full in a month. It does produce little water but not
as much as before. When i put it on continuous run the very bottom of the
coils forms ice. The filters are clean. I use this unit in finished basement.
Also one thing i noticed is that the unit shows humidity at 40 while monitor
in a room shows 50.Bad sensor? So i set the unit to lowest setting of 35. But
still very little water is produced and unit is running hot and sometimes i
can even smell burning so i turn it off.

Ice on the coils often indicates that the refrigerant fluid is low.
You may have developed a small leak.

I've been through a lot of dehumidifiers. It is really difficult to
find one that lasts more than two years. Most die somewhere in the
second year.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.