Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water dripping from dehumidifier

There is water dripping from the base. It is not coming from the tank or the hose to the drain.

I replaced the last one when it kept freezing up.

But on this one there is no way to see the coils. Same problem, do you think?

It's 2 or 3 years old, and yeah I know these are basically consumables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it is not coming out the drain, did you think that maybe the drain was plugged with crud, spider webs, dead bugs, etc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:07:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If it is not coming out the drain, did you think that maybe the drain was plugged with crud, spider webs, dead bugs, etc?

Yeah, I didn't explain that well. The drip on the floor is from the base of the dehumidifier. I've tried running it with the hose, or with just the internal tank, and it still drips from the same spot. I took the hose out, connected it to the garden hose, and ran a snake up it with water flowing so I know it is clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2016 1:55 PM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 1:07:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If it is not coming out the drain, did you think that maybe the drain was plugged with crud, spider webs, dead bugs, etc?

Yeah, I didn't explain that well. The drip on the floor is from the base of the dehumidifier. I've tried running it with the hose, or with just the internal tank, and it still drips from the same spot. I took the hose out, connected it to the garden hose, and ran a snake up it with water flowing so I know it is clear.

Is the unit level?

They are typically not that hard to pull
apart. I'd guess a clogged drain, or the
catch pan rusted through.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2016 9:33 AM, TimR wrote:
There is water dripping from the base. It is not coming from the tank or the hose to the drain.

I replaced the last one when it kept freezing up.

But on this one there is no way to see the coils. Same problem, do you think?

It's 2 or 3 years old, and yeah I know these are basically consumables.

Check the water path from the cold elements to the container. I got one
unit free because it dripped on the floor. I found a rubber drip tube
that was plugged up, causing the tray that led to it to overflow.
Probing into that tube with a pipe cleaner opened it up, and everything
worked fine. Look for how the water gets into the bucket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 22:50:46 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/27/2016 9:33 AM, TimR wrote:
There is water dripping from the base. It is not coming from the tank or the hose to the drain.

I replaced the last one when it kept freezing up.

But on this one there is no way to see the coils. Same problem, do you think?

It's 2 or 3 years old, and yeah I know these are basically consumables.

Check the water path from the cold elements to the container. I got one
unit free because it dripped on the floor. I found a rubber drip tube
that was plugged up, causing the tray that led to it to overflow.
Probing into that tube with a pipe cleaner opened it up, and everything
worked fine. Look for how the water gets into the bucket.

If they get everyone to stop smoking, where will we get pipe cleaners?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay, a drip could be from a clog somewhere, I can check that.

Or it could be from a frozen coil, which means the unit is trash.

Any other ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2016 11:08 AM, TimR wrote:
Okay, a drip could be from a clog somewhere, I can check that.

Or it could be from a frozen coil, which means the unit is trash.

Any other ideas?

1) frozen coil not always fatal
2) rusted out drain pan

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 12:55:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/29/2016 11:08 AM, TimR wrote:
Okay, a drip could be from a clog somewhere, I can check that.

Or it could be from a frozen coil, which means the unit is trash.

Any other ideas?

1) frozen coil not always fatal
2) rusted out drain pan

I've always thought a frozen coil was beyond repair on a dehumidifier.

Let me think out loud: 3 reasons for a coil to freeze, right? Low charge, which means a leak, unfixable; Low air flow, not the case with these units. Bad TXV - do these even have one or are they cap tubes? Either way, not fixable.

I don't think there's any metal to rust on these, it's all plastic, but I'll look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
TimR wrote:

Okay, a drip could be from a clog somewhere, I can check that.

Or it could be from a frozen coil, which means the unit is trash.

Any other ideas?

Is there condensation on the outside of the unit? If the humidity is
hight, it could drip until it has run long enough to get the dew point
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2016 1:00 PM, TimR wrote:

1) frozen coil not always fatal
2) rusted out drain pan

I've always thought a frozen coil was beyond repair on a dehumidifier.

Let me think out loud: 3 reasons for a coil to freeze, right?

1) Low charge, which means a leak, unfixable;
CY: Yes, some times a low charge will result in
low evaporator temps.

Low air flow, not the case with these units.
CY: Many dehum pass air over the evap, and then
through the cond. Very often, dust clogs and
reduces air flow.

Bad TXV - do these even have one or are they cap tubes?
CY: Usually cap tubes.

Either way, not fixable.
CY: Can also be low ambient temp in the cellar. Dirty coils
can be cleaned. Also the unit may be in a confined space,
and unable to "breathe". Though, this would lead to higher
temps as the heat from the motor.

I don't think there's any metal to rust on
these, it's all plastic, but I'll look.

CY: Now days, likely no metal if at all possible.

Text inserted inline.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:07:37 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

CY: Now days, likely no metal if at all possible.

You're an old timey-guy, why don't you use "nowadays"? One less key stroke...no, we all know you're a stroker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 17:07:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I don't think there's any metal to rust on
these, it's all plastic, but I'll look.

CY: Now days, likely no metal if at all possible.

Nowadays, they're just made from hopes and dreams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:33:53 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
There is water dripping from the base. It is not coming from the tank or the hose to the drain.

I replaced the last one when it kept freezing up.

But on this one there is no way to see the coils. Same problem, do you think?

It's 2 or 3 years old, and yeah I know these are basically consumables.

Try using a shopvac on the drain and lines. Mix a little Clorox in a cup of water and see if you can't pour it into the tank and tilt the unit around to move the water around the tank then vacuum it out. There is a possibility that some dirt has built up where water drips off the evaporator coil and some water is not going down the drain hole. A good cleaning may solve your problem. ^_^

[9~{} Uncle Dirty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

We're waiting for Tim R to tell us what he found.

Soffatts dripping water Simon UK diy 5 May 16th 07 11:13 PM
Dripping water Richard Evans Home Repair 7 January 21st 07 01:50 AM
water dripping from exhaust fan... tom Home Repair 0 December 13th 05 05:47 AM
water dripping into the a/c drip pan [email protected] Home Repair 7 July 13th 05 03:13 AM
Dripping water under GE Refrigerator pkmicro Home Repair 9 March 4th 05 03:09 AM