Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint or finish floors first?

We are in the end stages of a construction project and one of the rooms is a small den about 11' x 9' with a small closet, 2 windows, 1 door into the hallway. It will be our TV room when it is finished with a nice flat screen going up on the wall.

We had new oak flooring installed and I am wondering if I should have the floor finished first and then paint, or paint first and then do the floor.

I did some research online and it seems like there are arguments for both ways of doing it and it is really an either or situation.

My gut feel is to do the floor first because the dust will get all over the paint. It's a small room and the painter can cover up the floor with a tarp or even cardboard to really protect it well.

We are not doing any staining of the trim so there is no issue with that. The trim will be painted with a semi-gloss paint.

I would appreciate your opinions on which to do first and why.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

| We had new oak flooring installed and I am wondering if I should have the
floor finished first and then paint, or paint first and then do the floor.

Ask the painter. There may be dust from the floor
sanding, depending on how they do it. Also, there
may be marks made on the baseboards. On the
other hand, the painting is easier if done first. I
like to paint afterward and be careful, or if possible,
paint all but the last coat before sanding and then
go in to finish up. But the sanders are likely to tell
you to have the painting done first, because they
don't want *their* work messed up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 05:58:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Do the floor first. It can be easily protected from paint. The
sander will probably mar painted trim, and floor refinishers can
easily splash some floor finish on your trim.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/16/2016 8:44 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Do the floor first. It can be easily protected from paint. The
sander will probably mar painted trim, and floor refinishers can
easily splash some floor finish on your trim.

+1

Plus, if it's protected from heavy traffic abuse, a little paint
splatter can be cleaned up any way; not so much stain off paint.

If the trim is being painted, one consideration would be to leave
baseboard off until floor is done (if it's not already installed, anyways).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 8:58:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

My parents just had their house painted and the floors refinished. They
painted first, not because of any plan of attack, but in fact because
they had not planned on doing the floors.

The only thing I can tell you is that they had to wipe down the walls, trim,
closet doors, etc. after the floors were done. It was easy to tell that
the wiping was required because Dad could see where the dust covered
the bottom 1 foot+ of every door. He said he couldn't see the dust on the
walls, but it sure showed up on the rags.

There was no damage to the freshly painted trim that I know off, but I won't
swear to that. I can tell you that I did not hear that as a complaint when
they were talking about the dust. I assume that it would have come up if
Dad had had to call the painter (or floor guy) back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 09:27:30 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

wrote

| We had new oak flooring installed and I am wondering if I should have the
floor finished first and then paint, or paint first and then do the floor.

Ask the painter. There may be dust from the floor
sanding, depending on how they do it. Also, there
may be marks made on the baseboards. On the
other hand, the painting is easier if done first. I
like to paint afterward and be careful, or if possible,
paint all but the last coat before sanding and then
go in to finish up. But the sanders are likely to tell
you to have the painting done first, because they
don't want *their* work messed up.

A lot easier to clean up any mess from painting on a finished floor,
and more danger of damaging the finished wall or baseboard when
refinishing the floor - I'd do the floors first - most definitely.

Pro paint finish and dust / bits in paint sm_jamieson UK diy 15 October 31st 13 07:56 PM
Finish Wood Floors ftres Home Repair 8 September 27th 09 07:42 PM
Paint + Carpet/Tiling + HW Floors [email protected] Home Repair 9 March 9th 06 01:03 PM
removing paint from hardwood floors edog Woodworking 9 January 22nd 05 08:32 PM
how to level & finish hardwood floors? Dan Home Repair 6 June 17th 04 02:59 PM