Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint + Carpet/Tiling + HW Floors

Need some advice. Over the span of just four weeks, I'd like to have
the following work done in our house:
- Tile the bathrooms (carpet right now)
- Replace all of the carpeting
- Repaint all of the interior
- Re-finish the hardwood floors in our kitchen

My questions:
1. Any recommendation as to what order these should be completed? The
order as listed is what makes sense to me. Should I try to arrange any
of this work to take place in tandem?
2. Is it realistic to plan the above to be completed within a four week
period?
3. I'm sure there are contractors that can/would sign up for two or
more of these jobs. Is this a particularly good or bad idea?

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the above in general, and in
particular for the three questions I've listed.

Thanks
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Do the floors last, you will probably end up with 4 different people.
But to get it done in a month and you have not scheduled-bid anything
yet , forget it, remember the good contractors are already booked over a
month out, if you push it you will have 4 hacks ruining 4 jobs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two things - First, refinishing hardwood floors makes a huge mess.
Second, painting before new carpet might prevent spillage on good
carpet.

Also, under the carpet is it hardwoods - if so, would that be better
than carpet ?

I would:

Rip out all the carpet, everywhere.

Refinish the hardwoods in the kitchen, get that out of the way. Takes
3-4 days. You can't be in the house if you use the hardest kind of
poly, which you may want to use since it's a kitchen, it's toxic.

Tile the bathrooms one at a time so you have someplace to go. You can
do this while the kitchen is being sanded but with the fumes - be
careful.

Start painting away from the baths and kitchen.

Complete the painting.

Install carpet.

I would not use the same crew for anything. Good painters don't tile.
Good glooring people don't do anything else. Etc.

HTH (fwiw)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article .com,
says...

Need some advice. Over the span of just four weeks, I'd like to have
the following work done in our house:
- Tile the bathrooms (carpet right now)
- Replace all of the carpeting
- Repaint all of the interior
- Re-finish the hardwood floors in our kitchen

My questions:
1. Any recommendation as to what order these should be completed? The
order as listed is what makes sense to me. Should I try to arrange any
of this work to take place in tandem?
2. Is it realistic to plan the above to be completed within a four week
period?
3. I'm sure there are contractors that can/would sign up for two or
more of these jobs. Is this a particularly good or bad idea?

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the above in general, and in
particular for the three questions I've listed.

Paint first, of course, so as not to endanger new flooring. (There should be no
problem, but still, it's a risk you can ameliorate.) Then, with careful
planning, you should be able to coordinate the rest within four weeks. You
might work with a local provider of all these kinds of floorings and they'll
want to coordinate things to please you.

I have a practical question, though, for you and anybody who wants a bunch of
work done in the house in a specified time frame. Is it really so important?
If there are delays, like I had with the delivery to the local of a carpet with
a seam (they called about the delay; they did not try to come here with it),
you'd want the flexibility to deal with it in the right way. You'll need to
live with the flooring for a long time. Unless it's something like travelling
many miles to stage an inherited house for sale, although it makes sense to
coordinate things as well as you can, it's best to have in mind a plan B if
there are delays which won't let the original four week plan work.

No mothers in law visiting you want to impress, I hope ;-)

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , m Ransley says...

Do the floors last, you will probably end up with 4 different people.
But to get it done in a month and you have not scheduled-bid anything
yet , forget it, remember the good contractors are already booked over a
month out, if you push it you will have 4 hacks ruining 4 jobs

I took his post meaning that he wants the four done in *a* span of four weeks,
not necessarily in the *next* four weeks.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I left the old carpet down till the painting was complete. My big
dropcloth.

you must be careful removing the carpet

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the feedback, this is helpful. Just to clarify, I'll be
having this work done several months from now (around August), and need
to have it completed within a four week period. We won't be staying in
the house at the time, so fumes etc. won't be an issue for us. In
terms of scale, this is for a 2,200sf multi-level townhouse, 3BR 2.5BA.

Thanks again,
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

We won't be staying in
the house at the time, so fumes etc. won't be an issue for us. In
terms of scale, this is for a 2,200sf multi-level townhouse, 3BR 2.5BA.

Thanks again,
Dave

I hope you will be around to supervise.like DONT go on vacation!

indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 02:35 PM