Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside air intake

Our furnace at our condo building is set up outside with a small enclosed room
above the parking spaces. Can our intake on the furnace suck in exhaust from
cars or trucks running in the spots below?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ke-903080-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2016 02:44 PM, Jean Gliedt-Peter wrote:
Our furnace at our condo building is set up outside with a small enclosed room
above the parking spaces. Can our intake on the furnace suck in exhaust from
cars or trucks running in the spots below?

Yes, it is possible.

If you are worried, buy a carbon monoxide detector or two.

https://smile.amazon.com/First-Alert.../dp/B000N8OYXI

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2016 11:44 AM, Jean Gliedt-Peter wrote:
Our furnace at our condo building is set up outside with a small
enclosed room
above the parking spaces. Can our intake on the furnace suck in exhaust
from
cars or trucks running in the spots below?

Why the Sam Hill would anybubby wanna heat parking spots?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 1:44:05 PM UTC-5, Jean Gliedt-Peter wrote:
Our furnace at our condo building is set up outside with a small enclosed room
above the parking spaces. Can our intake on the furnace suck in exhaust from
--

If the air handler has an outside air intake I doubt it would have passed inspection if there was a chance of sucking in vehicle exhaust. If your furnace has a fresh air intake which is unusual, I wouldn't worry unless you smell exhaust fumes from the cars parked there in the open. You may be confusing "Return air" with an actual outdoor air intake that would be an unusual feature for a residential furnace/air conditioning system. I've only seen an economizer or enthalpy controls on commercial air conditioning systems. ^_^

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/914...-in-a-nutshell

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2016 2:44 PM, Jean Gliedt-Peter wrote:
Our furnace at our condo building is set up outside with a small
enclosed room
above the parking spaces. Can our intake on the furnace suck in exhaust
from
cars or trucks running in the spots below?

Air intake for heating or for combustion air? If it is only combustion
air it would not be a problem as you don't breath it.

In any case, get a CO detector and be safer.

Storing A/C intake filters Sam Takoy[_2_] Home Repair 29 August 12th 10 08:07 PM
HVAC air intake near gas heater [email protected] Home Repair 116 October 9th 07 06:13 PM
Whole House fan Near Heater Intake? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 29th 07 07:00 PM
fresh air intake Dave Home Repair 4 July 15th 07 05:37 PM
Air Intake to basement [email protected] UK diy 2 April 26th 05 10:48 PM