Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storing A/C intake filters

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't see any problem but your hvac system may not last 3 years then what
do you do with the filters?

I think 60 days is a too long to use a single filter during heavy use. Buy
the cheapest you can and change every 2 weeks during heavy use. Every 2
months during low use months. Depends on where you live.

I buy mine by the case at HD and keep them in it until I need them. I
usually buy the store out of their stock but I get True Blue filters. If my
havac system goes out I can take them back to HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

We sometimes buy a whole case of filters and since they're sealed in plastic
there is no way for them to get dirty out in the garage, they work fine when
installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:34 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

If there are some active electrostatic elements with a half-life of six
months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

If there are some active electrostatic elements with a half-life of six
months.

That would be ridiculous.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 11, 12:22*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 10:49 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Organic based filters should be refrigerated in order to
retain their effectiveness. Once the package is opened
the filter should be put into service immediately or it
will spoil. 8-0

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 11:34 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging
still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 10:49 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Just FYI 6x60 equals 360. not quite ONE year. and yes, they keep.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 11, 3:31*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/11/2010 10:49 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Just FYI *6x60 equals 360. *not quite ONE year. *and yes, they keep..

And as I've already stated, that is ONLY if you run the AC/heat every
single day. A box of 12 "30 day" filters usually last me 18 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep
for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

Even on autumn or spring days when the windows are open and there's a 68
degree breeze blowing through the house? Run the fan? Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging
still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

If you take off the plastic, they'll get dirty!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep
for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

--
Steve Barker

What you talkin' bout Willis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging
still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

TDD

Say it ain't so. Come on, fess up! Was this 'Bamastan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 2:44 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep
for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

Even on autumn or spring days when the windows are open and there's a 68
degree breeze blowing through the house? Run the fan? Why?

see a:

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 2:50 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 3:32 pm, Steve wrote:
On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:

On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

If you say so,

or if your wife is EXTREMELY mold sensitive. It takes about a month for
the evaporator housing and tray to dry out completely. G

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

I have no problem storing them for long periods of time. Mostly, they get
crushed or damaged some other way.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging
still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

TDD

Say it ain't so. Come on, fess up! Was this 'Bamastan?

Yep, it were my home boys dat did it. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

I've seen people install filters with the plastic packaging
still on them and they wonder why the AC doesn't work.

I found a vacuum cleaner with a wonder bread bag in place of the paper
bag. I'll bet that didn't work right either.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

"Sam wrote in message
Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic?

Why do you imagine they would NOT store well if wrapped in plastic?

If there are some active electrostatic elements with a half-life of six
months.

What are those? If you have gamma radiation in your basement, you
have bigger problems than bad furnace fiiters.

If you have alpha or beta radiation, why would they hurt furnace
fiters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, *wrote:
"Sam *wrote in message

Hi

Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and
each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep
for
three years?

Thanks,

Sam

Actually six 60-day filters is one year's worth.

Only if you run the AC/heat every single day for a year.

as they should be even if only on fan,
a: to keep the evaporator dried out when not in use
b: to move air

Even on autumn or spring days when the windows are open and there's a 68
degree breeze blowing through the house? Run the fan? Why?

To clean the dust and pollen out of the air, so that my asthmatic
husband
isn't inconvenienced in the breathing department. We probably
shouldn't
open the windows at all, but sometimes we just can't resist.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

[...]

==========

He stated a rule. You stated an exception.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

[...]

He asked "Why?" I provided the answer that applies in my house.

CIndy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 8/11/2010 12:35 PM, Ron wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:22 pm, wrote:
"Sam wrote in message

[...]

A "rule"......complete BS is what he stated.

Air intake filters make a big difference... CarlBoyd Metalworking 1 February 28th 09 02:39 PM
fresh air intake Dave Home Repair 4 July 15th 07 05:37 PM
Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters No Way Home Repair 19 June 11th 07 06:52 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Air Intake to basement [email protected] UK diy 2 April 26th 05 10:48 PM