Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underground water leak

Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/16 6:18 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467
This paper has the odd contraptions farmers come up with to solve
their problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:11:25 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/5/16 6:18 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467
This paper has the odd contraptions farmers come up with to solve
their problems.

A related question is what kind of pipe and how old, which can be a
factor. For example if it's 50 year old galvanized pipe, I wouldn't
waste time on looking for the specific leak, because the whole thing
is likely shot at this point and needs to be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/05/2016 7:11 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467

Wonder if he could hear the electrons escaping the end of that broken
feeder line to the cattle waterer heaters...

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/16 8:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 7:11 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467

Wonder if he could hear the electrons escaping the end of that broken
feeder line to the cattle waterer heaters...

I bet he could if he taped the stethoscope to a satellite dish.

Supposedly, the old transistor radios could help find a break.
Connect a spark plug wire to the bad underground wire. Listen
for the spot with the most static.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/05/2016 9:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/5/16 8:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 7:11 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467

Wonder if he could hear the electrons escaping the end of that broken
feeder line to the cattle waterer heaters...

I bet he could if he taped the stethoscope to a satellite dish.

Supposedly, the old transistor radios could help find a break.
Connect a spark plug wire to the bad underground wire. Listen
for the spot with the most static.

I've got an inexpensive finder but Dad, being Dad, wasn't content to
just bury the line "enough", it's in the same trench as the water line
which is about 38-40" -- the signal isn't strong enough to isolate the
break with it.

The dude from town was able with his "high-priced spread" model to
isolate to within about 2" another feed from the pole to the shop that I
couldn't hear at all so I'm sure if I have him out he'll be able to find
it; just a joke intended on "listening for electron flow"...but I do
need to get it repaired before cold weather; too many other "needtos" in
line ahead of it at the moment, though.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 07:11:18 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/5/16 6:18 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

This solution requires a piece of pvc pipe, a styrofoam cup, and
a stethoscope. Oh, almost forgot, tape.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=467
This paper has the odd contraptions farmers come up with to solve
their problems.

Very clever device. Two of us teens once used a pool stick to open a
small floor safe (with permission). The sound of the dial turning
helped to determine the tumblers falling in place. A pool stick also
works on finding and isolate sound in a engine (tapping valve). Hold
the rubber end next to your ear, vibrations.

I have the parts, from your link, to make the gadget. Bet I could
find a leaking poly irrigation drip line under rocks near the edge of
the driveway. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/16 1:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 9:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Supposedly, the old transistor radios could help find a break.
Connect a spark plug wire to the bad underground wire. Listen for
the spot with the most static.

I've got an inexpensive finder but Dad, being Dad, wasn't content to
just bury the line "enough", it's in the same trench as the water
line which is about 38-40" -- the signal isn't strong enough to
isolate the break with it.

The dude from town was able with his "high-priced spread" model to
isolate to within about 2" another feed from the pole to the shop
that I couldn't hear at all so I'm sure if I have him out he'll be
able to find it; just a joke intended on "listening for electron
flow"...but I do need to get it repaired before cold weather; too
many other "needtos" in line ahead of it at the moment, though.

A former co worker talked about tire inflators that worked off
engine compression. I've never seen one but this thread jogged my memory.
http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose-with-quick-release-lever/
Adding a 12v outlet is just as easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/05/2016 7:14 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/5/16 1:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

And the connection is...or is it just stream of consciousness?

The septic tank cleanout guys use engine vacuum, for their pumping, too...

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/16 1:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Farm Show, odd uses, spark plugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/05/2016 8:37 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
no they don't.

Well, certainly the one use here does...

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 8:37 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
no they don't.

Well, certainly the one use here does...

I seriously doubt it . Every single one I've ever seen had a bigass vacuum
pump to evacuate the air from the tank .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb posted for all of us...

; too many other "needtos" in
line ahead of it at the moment, though.

---

Fix the Avast ad.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

slate_leeper posted for all of us...

Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

Look for the wet spot; just like on the bed sheets.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:02:48 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

slate_leeper posted for all of us...

Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

Look for the wet spot; just like on the bed sheets.

I've done that. Nothing visible. The house is two story, on a hill.
The first floor is under ground level. The hill slopes up from the
street to the house. The water line comes into the house through the
floor of the lower level. That means that depth of the line is from 2
feet (at the meter) to over 10 feet. The dirt for the hill was added
after water and septic lines were placed.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR014887

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A photo of the layout would be nice. How do you know there is a leak if you can't see anything??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 07:59:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

How do you know there is a leak if you can't see anything??

If no water is being used in the house, the water meter dial would be
spinning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:31:28 AM UTC-4, slate_leeper wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:02:48 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

slate_leeper posted for all of us...

Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line from
the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

-dan z-

Look for the wet spot; just like on the bed sheets.

I've done that. Nothing visible. The house is two story, on a hill.
The first floor is under ground level. The hill slopes up from the
street to the house. The water line comes into the house through the
floor of the lower level. That means that depth of the line is from 2
feet (at the meter) to over 10 feet. The dirt for the hill was added
after water and septic lines were placed.

-dan z-

If the line is only 2ft deep at the meter, I hope it's someplace warm
where there is no serious freezing in winter. What material is the pipe
and how old? As I said previously, that could make a big difference.
If it's galvanized steel for example and 50 years old, it doesn't matter
where the link is, the whole thing needs to be replaced.

There are leak locating services, you could check some in your area,
see what they charge and how they get paid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When the water bill for the vacant house showed 3800 gallons of water
for the month. I went over and shut off the line inside the house,
thinking that a toilet or something was leaking. Next month the bill
was about the same. So I looked at the meter, and sure enough the
rotating indicator was moving slowly even though the water was shut
off at the house.

Is there any way to locate an underground water leak in the line
from the road to the house other than by digging trenches?

My mother-in-laws water line broke underground a few years ago. By the time
we could drive there the running water had caused a small sink hole in the
yard. So finding her leak was fairly easy (fixing it was another matter).

You might check the yard for depressions or wet/soggy areas. That might
help you narrow it down. Of course, if the line is buried really deep it
may not show on the surface.

I suppose you could use a stethoscope or something to "listen" for running
water at various points in the yard. But if it's buried deep or a slow
trickle you may not be able to hear it.

If you've had a stretch of dry weather, you might be able to use a moisture
meter to search for any differences in the ground moisture. But that's
probably a long shot.

Unless you've had heavy vehicles driving on the yard, the most likely
failure spots are at the house end, or out at the meter. I would look there
first.

Unless you can easily find the leak, it would probably be smarter to
abandon the existing line and run a new water pipe. If you have a leak now,
you'll probably end up with more in the future. Have the underground
services marked, then rent a ditch witch to dig a new trench to the house.
You might also be able to use a vibratory plow to bury a new line without
having to dig a trench.

Good luck!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2016 10:09 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Unless you can easily find the leak, it would probably be smarter to
abandon the existing line and run a new water pipe. If you have a leak now,
you'll probably end up with more in the future.

Unless the leak is something like a stake driven through the pipe it
would be stupid not to replace it for the reason you stated.

If you DIY you probably need the ditch witch but I've seen lines replace
with just one hole at the street connection. They pull a new piece of
tubing through.