Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default Underground water leak

On 9/5/2016 6:12 PM, dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 7:14 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/5/16 1:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 09/05/2016 9:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Supposedly, the old transistor radios could help find a break.
Connect a spark plug wire to the bad underground wire. Listen for
the spot with the most static.

I've got an inexpensive finder but Dad, being Dad, wasn't content to
just bury the line "enough", it's in the same trench as the water
line which is about 38-40" -- the signal isn't strong enough to
isolate the break with it.

The dude from town was able with his "high-priced spread" model to
isolate to within about 2" another feed from the pole to the shop
that I couldn't hear at all so I'm sure if I have him out he'll be
able to find it; just a joke intended on "listening for electron
flow"...but I do need to get it repaired before cold weather; too
many other "needtos" in line ahead of it at the moment, though.

A former co worker talked about tire inflators that worked off
engine compression. I've never seen one but this thread jogged my memory.
http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose-with-quick-release-lever/

Adding a 12v outlet is just as easy.

And the connection is...or is it just stream of consciousness?

The septic tank cleanout guys use engine vacuum, for their pumping, too...

no they don't.