Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Fuese

Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in
a junction fuse box.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...se-902203-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Helen Keech wrote:
Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace
one in
a junction fuse box.

Just a guess.. If not, there is probably one you could put inline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-09-03 2:14 PM, Helen Keech wrote:
Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace
one in
a junction fuse box.

I doubt it very much, probably better off replacing your panel for
breakers if that is an issue or requirement.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 18:14:01 +0000, Helen Keech
m wrote:

Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in
a junction fuse box.

Put a GFCI outlet in the first box on the string, feed the down stream
from the "load" side. If this confuses you, call an electrician.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 18:12:29 -0400, Bill

m wrote:

Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in
a junction fuse box.

You sound like you think you have one already that has failed? Well,
you need to replace one What? Fuse or GFCI protected Fuse?

You're not thinking of Fustats, are you? They screw into the fuse
socket and have different pitch threads for each amperage, so you can
only screw the correct fustat into the socket. Very popular with
landlords who have inadequate wiring and stupid tenants, so the tenant
doesn't burn down the place with fuses that are too big.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...e_Adapters.pdf

Or are you thinking of circuit breakers that screw into fuse sockets.
They have one button in the middle. They are not GFCI, and they are
not fuses either. They are circuit breakers shaped like fuses. I
haven't seen any for sale but they wouldn't be for sale in a store
this far from old housing. Maybe in no store these days, but sure
enough, Amazon has them. $9.43 for 20 amps. That's only 47 cents an
amp. It gets 4.6 stars.
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-M.../dp/B000GAS1GY

They sell Fustats too.

Put a GFCI outlet in the first box on the string, feed the down stream
from the "load" side. If this confuses you, call an electrician.

Are you suggesting he merely "plug-in" that string? Is that likely to
satisfy code requirements?

Well if the house has fuses now, it probably meets code, and a GFCI in
any outlet would be an improvement, right? This is not the kind of
change which requires meeting a later code requirement, is it?

The biggest problem I see is trying to decide which is downstream and
which is upstream. I can see the wiring in my basement laundry room,
but I would still have a very hard time figuring out which receptacle
the power goes to first and then next. One would have to plug in
lights or radios to every outlet, then open up the one one thinks is
closest to the fusebox, disconnect one side, and see what other
receptacles go dead, not just in the same room but other rooms.

Then do the same thing with other receptacles. Unless Helen was only
trying to protect
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in
a junction fuse box.

Put a GFCI outlet in the first box on the string, feed the down stream
from the "load" side. If this confuses you, call an electrician.

It could be someone who genuinely ignorant (just means they don't know) about ground fault devices or it could be a skilled troll. The OP could have been speaking to someone or seen an article about electrical safety and really doesn't understand. The OP could also be mistakenly referring to her breaker panel as a "fuse" box. Your suggestion is of course the least costly option but if the home is really old with fuse boxes, there may not be a ground wire in the receptacle boxes. I remember running service calls to really old homes where I wondered how no one had been electrocuted by such primitive wiring. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Fused Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

GFCIs also mitigate the lack of a ground wire. It is the only legal
way to do a replacement of an ungrounded receptacle with a 5-15.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

It's been a while since I installed any GFCIs and I don't remember the date on my last code book but you mean a newer type GFCI needs no ground wire? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

AFAIK, no GFCI ever "needed" a ground wire to function as intended.
If it's installed in a location where there is a ground, then the
ground wire from the GFCI gets connected. If it's used to replace
an old two prong, ungrounded receptacle/s, then the ground wire isn't
used, but the GFCI still functions and provides it's intended function
even though no ground is present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 17:24:01 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 6:12:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

GFCIs also mitigate the lack of a ground wire. It is the only legal
way to do a replacement of an ungrounded receptacle with a 5-15.

It's been a while since I installed any GFCIs and I don't remember the date on my last code book but you mean a newer type GFCI needs no ground wire? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Shocked Monster

GFCIs never needed a ground wire to function.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster
Sun, 04
Sep 2016 00:24:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It's been a while since I installed any GFCIs and I don't remember
the date on my last code book but you mean a newer type GFCI needs
no ground wire? o_O

Umm. Unless you know something about GFCI that I don't, it's never
needed a ground wire. From what I understand, the GFCI is watching the
voltage from hot to neutral and if they become imbalanced, it trips.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

My house has fuses and I intend to keep it that way. No nuisance trips.

And WTF are they talking about GFCI fuses? No such thing. A fuse does not detect ground faults.

--
When Mike got arrested, the police told him, "Anything you say will be held against you."
Mike smiled and simply replied, "Jessica Simpson's boobs."
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

You are an idiot, fuses are nuisance trips, and require replacement,
breakers allow for a slight current overage before popping.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

While I'm no expert on fuses, physics would seem to suggest that fuses
have that feature too. Does a 20A fuse instantaneously melt at exactly
20A? I suspect if you give it 22A it might work for quite awhile,
until it generates enough heat to melt, while if you give it 40A,
it will blow very quickly. How a fuse curve looks compared to a breaker
curve, IDK, but there must be some kind of curve for both.

The nuisance with fuses is that when one goes, you have to hope
you have the right one and can find it and each time it trips,
it's a new fuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Do you have ANY idea of the specs of a fuse??? Compared to a breaker?

Obviously not - just shooting from the lip, as usual.

A standard (Type TC) 20 amp fuse can generally pass 100 amps for 1/10
of a second without blowing.AND 40 AMPS FOR 15 SECONDS.
A 20 amp TL slow blow fuse takes over 15 seconds to blow at 30 amps. A
standard fuse takes over a minute and a half to blow at 10% over it's
rated amperage,

A standard thermal trip breaker is similar - in many cases a bit
faster - and a magnetic trip breaker will "kick" several times faster
thana fuse will blow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Funny, my mother had a 10A kettle working on a 5A fuse for about 3 months before it blew.

--
Peter is listening to "Ministry of Sound - The Sound of Dubstep 4"
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

The correct fuse selection should avoid this nuisance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

james is a Brit..do not expect him to know about modern stuff.
The UK is abut 40 years behind the USofA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 00:18:20 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

My house has fuses and I intend to keep it that way. No nuisance trips.

The ironic thing is you could build a brand new house today and use a
fuse panel as long as you had the "type S" rejection devices in the
sockets that prevent putting in the wrong fuse.
The problem becomes the 240v circuits where there is no rejection
device although the 30a class fuse holder will not take a 40 or 50.
The problem would be the range, wired with 8ga and the next size fuse
holder that will take a 60.
Then you get down to the AFCI and GFCI requirements although the code
does allow the "device type".
There is also no money to be saved by doing it. If you could find a
200a fuse panel, it would cost more than a breaker panel by the time
you also bought all the required AFCIs and GFCIs.

My circa 1971 house in Md did have a 200a fuse panel and aluminum
wire. It hasn't burned down yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 1:14:05 PM UTC-5, Helen Keech wrote:
Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in
a junction fuse box.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...se-902203-.htm

The GFCI looks for equal currents in the hot and neutral conductors, using a transformer with both windings connected. A third winding will have an output if the (other) two currents are not equal. This is why a GFCI will sometimes trip on "noise", because while equal the two currents are at 60 Hz, there is noise" at some higher frequency that is not equal on both conductors.

GFCI outlets required with a GFCI Breaker? [email protected] Home Repair 17 August 3rd 08 07:06 PM
Why not GFCI everywhere? [email protected] Home Repair 21 March 15th 07 05:56 PM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Ownership 38 June 25th 05 03:50 AM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Repair 38 June 25th 05 03:50 AM
GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers? Alan Beagley Home Repair 10 October 30th 03 05:44 PM