Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water is too soft

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ft-901893-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 18:14:01 +0000, Steve Mavroudis
m wrote:

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

No. The bypass valve is for turning off the softener and for making
repairs. Unless I missed something
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 18:14:01 +0000, Steve Mavroudis m wrote:

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

No, that is not the purpose of that valve(s). Read the manual for the softener and, I'm just guessing, it will tell
you how to adjust the softness output from the softener. In other words... RTFB.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Mavroudis m wrote in
oups.com:

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

Why would you think that's a better idea than adjusting the softness to the proper level?

RTFM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Mavroudis posted for all of us...

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ft-901893-.htm

How can soft water be too soft? Please explain... There used to be a guy
named Gary Slusser who was the softener guru.

I suppose some kind of metering valve could be kludged in.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:29:20 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

I suppose some kind of metering valve could be kludged in.

Metering is done in the control unit power head of the softener.

Digital.

The bypass valve is a method/way to disconnect the unit from the home
water supply. So 'youse' guys can repair or replace the unit.

Give it some time. The OP will enjoy soft water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:29:20 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Steve Mavroudis posted for all of us...

If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ft-901893-.htm

How can soft water be too soft? Please explain... There used to be a guy
named Gary Slusser who was the softener guru.

My face cloth would get slimy from bar soap pretty quickly on my ship
when I was in the Navy. We used triple effect evaporators to make
fresh water. Had to rinse the cloth in salt water to get the slime
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2016 2:14 PM, Steve Mavroudis wrote:
If I leave the bypass valve to my softener in a slightly in a slightly open
position will this allow me to moderate the softness of the water? I
have a
Fleck 5600 SXT 32000 metered cabinet unit which was recently installed.

Just for the fun of it I'll pick a nit.

The water is not too soft. It is not hard enough. Water is either soft
on not. There are, however, degrees of hardness.

You can take hard water and remove some of the minerals that make it
hard. Once you remove enough to make it soft, you can't make it softer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2016 4:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:29:20 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

I suppose some kind of metering valve could be kludged in.

Metering is done in the control unit power head of the softener.

Digital.

The bypass valve is a method/way to disconnect the unit from the home
water supply. So 'youse' guys can repair or replace the unit.

Give it some time. The OP will enjoy soft water.

When I had a water softener I never did get where I enjoyed the
soft water. I disliked it from day one until it died.
Then I went back to the straight well water.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:10:33 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

Give it some time. The OP will enjoy soft water.

When I had a water softener I never did get where I enjoyed the
soft water. I disliked it from day one until it died.
Then I went back to the straight well water.

Bill

Our water is from Lake Mead in Nevada and the hardest in the country.

Neighbor did not have a softener and his appliances failed faster from
mineral buildup (calcium).

Lake Mead bathtub ring Pic:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.staticflickr.com%2F4139%2F48 70257999_38de154931_z.jpg&f=1

https://tinyurl.com/h5u36zs

Water is way too soft.. what to do? [email protected] Home Repair 37 July 27th 18 02:36 AM
Is Chicago water hard or soft? Ajanta Home Ownership 38 December 17th 06 01:49 AM
soo-soft water softener??? Does it work??? [email protected] Home Repair 10 September 30th 06 06:42 PM
Rain Soft water filter Joe Home Repair 4 March 17th 06 05:24 PM
Ice Machine - Use soft, or untreated water? Sparks UK diy 2 August 3rd 05 09:10 PM