Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Up Meth Residue

We have a 1968 Elcar two-bedroom trailer that we have been renting out for 35 years. It is well built with 1/4' oak paneling and good cabinetry, and it has made a nice home for people over the years.

Unfortunately we just had to evict two young renters after five months for careless behavior. Only then did we find that they must have had a meth habit, for there is a sticky, orange colored residue on many surfaces.

We have washed all walls, floors, ceilings and windows, and the place smells better, but not 100%.

We have read that the residue is absorbed into unpainted surfaces in cabinets and drawers, and that one can "cook" the residue out by cranking the heat to 90 degrees for a period of time, and we are willing to try that.

So my questions a

1. Is it possible to have the building tested without involving state authorities?

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy for renters, or should we send the entire structure to the great recycler in the sky, which, I hear, costs about $3,000?

3. Does the idea of "cooking" the porous surfaces make sense?

4. Do you have other suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance!

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/16 12:58 PM, Dwight Gibb wrote:
[...]

Some reading here may help with some of your questions:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...guidelines.pdf
http://www.deq.state.ok.us/lpdnew/MethLabs/meth.htm
http://www.methlabcleanup.com/testing.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Dwight Gibb
wrote:

So my questions a

1. Is it possible to have the building tested without involving state authorities?

Hide a danger to the next tenant?

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy for renters, or should we send the entire structure to the great recycler in the sky, which, I hear, costs about $3,000?

3. Does the idea of "cooking" the porous surfaces make sense?

4. Do you have other suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance!

Dwight Gibb

Get an official police report. You do have home insurance, right?
You also have skills to decontaminate the outside lawn so children can
play amongst the spilt chemicals?

I think you're screwed for the moment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight Gibb wrote:

[...]

Call in the professionals to clean up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Meth habit, or meth hobby (lab)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This seems to be only meth habit, though I dont know where one draws the line, if users manufacture their own stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 11:58:59 AM UTC-5, Dwight Gibb wrote:
[...]

There is a lot of information online about meth labs. Usually professional cleanup is recommended; however, here is an article on doing it yourself: http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealt...th-cleanup.htm. I hope you were using protective gear while cleaning up the place. Given the dangers, you should want professional testing before allowing anyone else to live there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If they make their own it's a lab. All laws regarding remediation of
a meth lab apply. Might be simpler to light a match and start over..
Being a trailer, tow it away first. Claim the insurance BEFORE
lighting the match.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Dwight Gibb
wrote in

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy for renters, or
should we send the entire structure to the great recycler in the sky, which,
I hear, costs about $3,000?

Unfortunately, it will probably end up at the great recycler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Seems like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here, starting with
the OP:

"Only then did we find that they must have had a meth habit, for there is a sticky, orange colored residue on many surfaces. "

From that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's because of meth,
that they were cooking it, etc. I've seen rooms that had orange residue
just from heavy smoking. Were they heavy smokers? Pot smokers?
Who knows. Unless I had more evidence than some orange residue, I
wouldn't be focusing on the meth lab scenario and screwing myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 06:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Dwight Gibb
wrote in

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy
for renters, or should we send the entire structure to the great
recycler in the sky, which, I hear, costs about $3,000?

Unfortunately, it will probably end up at the great recycler.
--

Seems like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here, starting
with the OP:

"Only then did we find that they must have had a meth habit, for
there is a sticky, orange colored residue on many surfaces. "

From that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's because of meth,
that they were cooking it, etc. I've seen rooms that had orange
residue just from heavy smoking. Were they heavy smokers? Pot
smokers? Who knows. Unless I had more evidence than some orange
residue, I wouldn't be focusing on the meth lab scenario and screwing
myself.

With your vast expert knowledge on every subject
why are you not worth millions??
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Dwight Gibb
wrote in

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy
for renters, or should we send the entire structure to the great
recycler in the sky, which, I hear, costs about $3,000?

Unfortunately, it will probably end up at the great recycler.
--

Seems like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here, starting
with the OP:

"Only then did we find that they must have had a meth habit, for
there is a sticky, orange colored residue on many surfaces. "

From that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's because of meth,
that they were cooking it, etc. I've seen rooms that had orange
residue just from heavy smoking. Were they heavy smokers? Pot
smokers? Who knows. Unless I had more evidence than some orange
residue, I wouldn't be focusing on the meth lab scenario and screwing
myself.

With your vast expert knowledge on every subject
why are you not worth millions??

Who says that I'm not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 9:58:59 AM UTC-7, Dwight Gibb wrote:
[...]

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. I have had good luck with alt.home.repair since the Usenet days, and my faith has been reinforced.

My second renter and I have already cleaned up the surfaces without realizing the danger of drugs, and there is a chance that the damage is not too great. But I will send for a test kit now. I think my insurance broker, and perhaps my lawyer, can give me ideas about the best over-all procedures, before I jump into HazMat/Health Department mode.

I have rented out two mobile homes for 35 years, and tried to make nice places for people to live, and over-all it has been a good experience. To take a massive hit because of two dumb kids would be sobering, but it is a slice of life, and I was a dumb kid once too - just turned out luckier than some.

With best regards,

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 09:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Dwight Gibb
wrote:

[...]

[...]

In the interim, you can determine what your local state EPA has for
information. StateMeth lab properties?

Trader's comment about nicotine stains was good. SIL bought a
manufactured home after the previous owner died. Even the frost in
the freezer had a nicotine color in the ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 07:50:48 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy for renters, or
should we send the entire structure to the great recycler in the sky, which,
I hear, costs about $3,000?

Unfortunately, it will probably end up at the great recycler.

.... save the frame, axles and tires