Posted to alt.home.repair
Dwight Gibb[_2_] Dwight Gibb[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning Up Meth Residue

We have a 1968 Elcar two-bedroom trailer that we have been renting out for 35 years. It is well built with 1/4' oak paneling and good cabinetry, and it has made a nice home for people over the years.

Unfortunately we just had to evict two young renters after five months for careless behavior. Only then did we find that they must have had a meth habit, for there is a sticky, orange colored residue on many surfaces.

We have washed all walls, floors, ceilings and windows, and the place smells better, but not 100%.

We have read that the residue is absorbed into unpainted surfaces in cabinets and drawers, and that one can "cook" the residue out by cranking the heat to 90 degrees for a period of time, and we are willing to try that.

So my questions a

1. Is it possible to have the building tested without involving state authorities?

2. Is it possible that we can clean this place and make it healthy for renters, or should we send the entire structure to the great recycler in the sky, which, I hear, costs about $3,000?

3. Does the idea of "cooking" the porous surfaces make sense?

4. Do you have other suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance!

Dwight Gibb