Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck Incandescent Bulb

Bob Simon
Mon, 22
Aug 2016 22:50:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The OPs is most likely badly corroded... the bulb seems to really
be stuck inside it. Unwilling to budge according to his last
post. the fixture itself internally is willing to move a bit, but
the bulb still isn't. the socket is done man. replace it.
Depending on the age of the fixture itself, I'd consider
replacing the entire thing rather than focusing on the socket.
It's upto the OP though.

This is OP. Parts of the original bulb base appeared to be welded
to the socket. In trying to free it, I tore loose strips and
chunks of the base but the rest remained in the socket.

You've heard of arc welding right? [g]

Went to HD and bought two hanging exterior lamps for under $40
each and installed them last week. The new lamps look nice but
wife wishes the balcony lamps matched the ones on the front porch.
I pleaded "function over aesthetics", which is almost a running
joke between us after 30 years of marriage. (And yes DD03, she
did help me find the breaker.)

You may want to apply a small amount of dielectric grease around the
base of the bulbs. It'll make changing them out later, much easier.
As well as reduce chances of corrosion becoming an issue later on.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That