Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Major difference in floor heights ... how to fix?

We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.

Is this standard procedure for leveling a floor? I have never seen such a high
gap between substrates before. I have to really bend my knee to step down from
the bathroom into the hallway. I can't even find pictures of such a high gap
online. I am wondering why they chose to level the floor rather than just find
a middle ground and work from there. A 1" difference in height I could have
handled. Anyone have this happen before? How did you handle it? Thinking of
having poured floors removed, which sounds like a major undertaking I am keen
on avoiding. This just sticks out like a sore thumb as is. Thanks for any
information you can give!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ix-899563-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, J wrote:
[...]

I have to imagine that he would have had to build a dam to prevent the compound
from flowing into the hallway. As soon as that situation presented itself he should
have stopped. Did he really think that a 2.5" step into the bathroom would be OK
without asking you first?

If that happened to me, he'd be removing the floor and I would seriously consider
firing him. Something like that should have been signed off on by the client before
it was done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2016 9:14 PM, J wrote:
We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the
floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there
is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups
I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.

You need a new contractor. First thing to do with that much difference
is to determine the cause and see of it can be corrected. If the floor
sagged two inches there may be a structural problem that will get worse
with the compound and tile weight.

Is it a first or second floor bath? It may have to be jacked in the
basement and if the second floor, another support. Check before you
waste a lot of money on a room that may need major structural work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 01:14:01 +0000, J
wrote:

[...]

How thick is the "pad" at the thinest point? Sounds like the guy went
overboard. If the house is sagged that badly in the bathroom perhaps
it should be jacked back up to level. The only other alternative would
be to shim the rest of the floors to level to match -- not a small job
- and not as good as jacking to level if it can be done.

I had one situation with a "ski hill" in a foyer where I actually
lowered the floor in the middle by removing the subfloor and shaving
the joists, then re-installing subfloor. This might be an option if
you can "sister" the joists to maintain integrety/strength.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J writes:

[...]

Seen this on This Old House. (So that makes me an expert.) You go in
the basement, find the problem, jack up the floor and repair.

Once knew someone renting new construction in the Bronx. House was out
of tilt about a foot and a half front to back. They had a false floor
in place, but it was a stopgap solution.

If you don't fix the cause of the problem, it usually just gets worse.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 07:14 PM, J wrote:
We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.
Is this standard procedure for leveling a floor?

Let me guess, this contractor didn't get a building permit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 02:35:47 -0600, Abduhl wrote:

On 08/11/2016 07:14 PM, J wrote:
We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.
Is this standard procedure for leveling a floor?

Let me guess, this contractor didn't get a building permit.

It may not be required for internal non structural work. He's putting
down tile, not ripping walls out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:07:45 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

+1 x 100

And what does the contractor say now? I'd be asking him how he
plans to solve it, what he was thinking.

If that happened to me, he'd be removing the floor and I would seriously consider
firing him. Something like that should have been signed off on by the client before
it was done.

+1

What did he do with the door? Cut it short? And as others have said,
an investigation needs to be done to find out where the sinking has
come from, is there a reasonable way to fix it correctly, is it stable
now or still sinking, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2016 07:14 PM, J wrote:
We have someone renovating our 1920s bathroom. Somewhere along the way, he
discovered a 2" slope in the floor from the back of the 10' bathroom to the
front. He then went ahead and poured self leveling compound (SLC) on the floor
to "even things out" so that we can tile the floor and walls. Now there is a
2.5" difference in height between the bathroom floor and the hallway wood
flooring. I can't even find reducers that run that high, and any mockups I try
to make of a ramp look ridiculous.
Is this standard procedure for leveling a floor?

Let me guess, this contractor didn't get a building permit.

It may not be required for internal non structural work. He's putting
down tile, not ripping walls out.

TECHNICALLY here we require a permit to replace roll flooring with
tile (there are structural issues) but not replacing roll or vinyl
tile with same.
In real life, the permit is seldome pulled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 8/11/2016 9:14 PM, J wrote:
[...]

+1 He probably needs a jack job...

--
Tekkie

Don't like heights? John Rumm UK diy 22 June 6th 13 01:47 AM
OT More heights ARWadsworth UK diy 17 April 24th 12 08:06 PM
OT Heights ARWadsworth UK diy 94 April 2nd 12 10:24 AM
Differing floor heights=safety problem [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 16th 06 11:33 PM
Major, major, major Lee Valley gloat. Dave Balderstone Woodworking 39 June 15th 05 11:08 AM